8

"And Miss Penelope Featherington, my lord." Rose's eyes darted past Portia and landed on the man sitting, quite undisturbed in his desk. When the man did not acknowledge the woman in the doorway, Portia's impatience got the best of her and she gestured for the gentleman to be let in.

Rose stepped aside and Phoebe's heart felt as though it would beat out of her chest. Maybe fate was on her side and she would be able to address the Bridgerton man before her about her dramatics the previous night. Upon locking eyes with the Viscount, Phoebe rose from the couch and gave a slightly awkward curtsey. She could feel Penelope rise beside her and felt her sister trembling slightly. Standing upright once again, her sister's nervousness made sense. The caller for Penelope must have been Colin, who had made his presence known by joining his brother's side. If he was not here for Penelope, things were surely going to be interesting between the four of them.

"Lady Featherington," Anthony's voice appeared calm and even, though his heart would deceive him if anyone could hear it. "I would like to ask your daughter, Phoebe," at this his brown eyes found the girl whom his heart ached for. "If she would give me the honor of joining me on a promenade."

Phoebe swore her heart would have stopped beating had it not been working overtime. She felt as though this was something she would have only dreamed of days ago, never admitting it to herself however. After all the two had been through, a promenade with Anthony should have made her laugh right in his face. She should have been angry, furious even at his audacity to come to her residence. Nevermind, she had the mind to visit the Bridgertons a few moments ago, that was an entirely different matter. He was asking her mother for permission to promenade with her. In public. In full view of the entire ton.

Anthony Bridgerton had surely lost his mind.

"We would be joined by my brother, Colin, who would like your daughter, Penelope, to join us as well." The smile on Penelope's face looked as though it would split her face nearly in two. This girl was not one to hide her feelings, however, she could be a little more subtle when it came to potential suitors, Phoebe chided.

Prudence and Philippa were doing nothing to hide their shock. Jaws opened, shoulders slouched forward, and staring intently at the interaction between the gentlemen and their mother. The Bridgertons? The Bridgertons? How on Earth did their annoying younger sisters manage to woo two Bridgertons? It was not that they were jealous, surely there were potential suitors of their own waiting to enter the room to speak with their parents. But these suitors would not be Bridgertons. Their sisters would surely be insane if they turned down a proposal from the Bridgertons. Then again, it would not be past Phoebe to do something so incredibly ridiculous, expecting a better proposal.

Portia looked stunned. She turned to her husband for his thoughts and was, unsurprisingly, disappointed to see he was still engrossed in his newspaper. Shaking her bright red head slightly and clearing her throat, she gave a dazzlingly bright smile to the two gentlemen before her. "Of course! Rose and Anne will accompany you as well."

Anthony clasped his hands in front of his waist and curtly nodded. "We would not have it any other way, Lady Featherington." Phoebe dragged her eyes away from his hands, away from the veins that popped out at the tension he was holding them with. She swore this man would be the death of her long ago and she would be surprised if this was ever not the case.

"Well then," Portia's voice seemed much too quiet to be coming out of her body. The two younger Featherington girls looked at their mother, nerves nearly getting the best of Phoebe who had to clutch Penelope's wrist to remain upright. The slight movement caught the eldest Bridgerton's attention and his brow furrowed a bit, wrists twitching yet restraining each other so as to not act out of turn and be inappropriate. He silently swore to himself that if Phoebe fainted and he did not catch her, he would never forgive himself. "Have a wonderful time. It is a marvelous day outside." Her smile looked genuine but Phoebe knew there would be many questions when she returned from her promenade with Anthony and Colin.

Penelope laced her fingers through her older sister's and tugged her towards the door. "We must fetch our shawls," she locked eyes with Colin who gave a kind smile at the girl, "we will be right back." The distance between the eldest Bridgerton and the third Featherington was appropriate yet the tension between them felt electric. It was if by locking eyes, electricity would spark and light the room on fire. As if a word to the other would spontaneously combust the others in the room. It was as if being this close to Anthony Bridgerton was dangerous.

And Phoebe loved it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hope you enjoy! I promise the next update will be more interesting!
Thank you all so much for being patient. Life is extremely busy but I love writing this story and I appreciate all your feedback!