Foreword

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☽ Foreword ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙

27.02.2021: I feel the need to add a brief foreword to the beginning of this story. There has been a lot of tension, slander and drama within the Wattpad community recently, which has forced a lot of us authors to become quite disheartened at some of the things that have been said about our works. In order to avoid any misconceptions and future inconveniences, please read below before continuing with the story.

I have tried to write Tom Riddle as accurately as one can write such a complex, toxic, malignant character as he is. The other characters in the story have been portrayed, to the best of my ability, as real people who do make mistakes and mess up on occasion. They're not always perfect and don't always know exactly what's going on. Please remember that story characters don't see and know everything that goes on and aren't aware of the full picture as readers are. Please consider this notion whilst reading.

I have tried to create characters that grow and change over time and learn from their previous mistakes. Each of my characters has flaws - just as any normal person does. The Ravenclaws get things wrong - they do not know every single fact and remember every little piece of history since the beginning of time. The Slytherins can be kind and generous to others etc.

I have seen a lot of complaints regarding re-readers recently who often leave spoilers for the plot of Modification and The Dawn of Darkness in the comments. If you are a re-reader, please don't spoil anything in the comments for first-time readers. There is a lot of foreshadowing, hints and some plot twists throughout both Modification and The Dawn of Darkness, so try not to give everything away for the ftr.

I wrote Modification when I was 15/16 so it's not my best in terms of writing, plot, characters etc. I'm still incredibly proud of my work, though, but I do cringe when I read it back. If you want to read something a bit more *tasteful* with more developed writing, I think you'll enjoy the sequel to this book, The Dawn of Darkness, and my original story.

I love that there is so much support for other authors and other fanfictions in the Wattpad community. However, I do not appreciate people comparing my characters to characters from other fanfics. They are completely different characters. Just because they share the same last name or the same hair colour, does not mean they are the same person and are there to be compared to other stories. It takes away from the time I took to craft each character into my own each time this happens. But, by all means, don't hesitate to recommend other TR fics in the comments - I don't mind that at all!

Please do not slander any other authors or works in the comment section. Do not compare the characters to those of other stories. Please remember that we write these stories for free, in our own time and in the midst of our own, very busy, lives. Please appreciate the effort that each author has put into their works.

I must also stress that this story is a slow burn. Don't expect them to be kissing by the 9th chapter. I have based some of the interactions and relationships on personal experiences and feel as though the pacing of the romance is realistic for the characters considering everything that is going on.

Some parts of the story are canon, others are not. Some plot features or characters may have been adapted at times to fit the story.

Oh, and once you reach Chapter 8 of the story, please go and read the Author's Note at the bottom if you are confused about what is revealed in that chapter before commenting anything.

I sincerely hope you like the story and I can't wait to hear what you think!

-Em