XXXII. LATE NIGHT TALK

LATE NIGHT TALK!

DECEMBER 1976

6th Year

• • • •

Holland sat at the kitchen table, rubbing the back of her neck with a guilty expression on her face, as James and Sirius argued in the living room.

"Don't worry about it, Love," Euphemia told the girl, placing a cup of tea in front of her, "They squabble all the time. They're brothers. They'll get over it and make up quickly. They always do."

Holland bit her lip, shaking her head, "I doubt that," She said, "Sirius really doesn't like me."

"Well James does," Euphemia spoke, making the Irish girl look at her with furrowed eyebrows, "You're James' friend. And he'll do anything to help his friends."

"He thinks of me as a friend?" Holland asked with a small smile.

Euphemia smiled gently at the girl, "He doesn't play board games with someone for three days straight unless he likes them, Dear. And I'm glad your his friend. He needs a good one like you," She said, making Holland blush as she took a drink of her tea, "It gives him someone else to talk to Lily about."

Holland chuckled, "You should hear him at school. 'My dear Lilyflower'." She mocked, making Euphemia laugh.

"Poor girl." The woman sighed with a small laugh.

"She calls him a Toerag," Holland told her, making Euphemia laugh even more, "I know she secretly likes him back. His attempts at flirting are horrendous, though."

Euphemia nodded, "Gets that from his father, I'm afraid." She said, as Fleamont entered the kitchen.

"My dear Euphemia, could you help me with something?" The man asked his wife, causing both Holland and Euphemia to giggle.

"See." The woman told the girl, as she stood up to see what it was that her husband needed, leaving Holland to finish her tea as she listened to the two Gryffindors argue about her in the next room.

***

Holland sighed, turning her head to look at the clock on the living room, it reading two o'clock in the morning, before she went back to looking into the crackling fire, settling herself further into the sofa cushions.

After five minutes of staring into the hot flames, a voice pulled her out of her trance.

"Lux?" Sirius asked, making her turn her head to look at him.

"Black." Holland greeted, before turning her head back to the fire.

"What are you doing up?" The boy awkwardly questioned.

"Well, I don't know if you noticed, but a large iron ball hurtling at full speed crashed into my back just under a week ago," Holland told the shaggy-haired boy, "It hurts, preventing sleep."

"Right." Sirius muttered.

"What about you?" The Slytherin asked him.

"I came down to get a glass of water." He said, pointing to the kitchen.

"Okay." Holland murmured with a small nod.

"I never thanked you for saving James' life," Sirius said, making Holland nod, not expecting one, "So thank you."

The Irish girl stared at him, "Well look at that. You're finally getting somewhere."

Sirius rolled his eyes, starting to go to the kitchen, before Holland's voice made him stop.

"I'm not a bad person, you know," She said, making him turn to look at the girl - who still hadn't taken her gaze away from the fire, "Despite whatever you think of me, I'm not a bad person. And the fact that you think of me in such a bad light just because of my house and who I'm related to. It really upsets me. And I don't care if you don't like me. But I'm going to be here for the whole break, whether you like it or not, so you just have to suck it up and get used to it, because James is my friend and he invited me here, so I'm staying put."

Sirius looked at her, contemplating what she said.

"I know you don't care, but I thought that I should just remind you: Our houses don't define who we are. Goodnight." Holland told him, before standing up, wincing as she did so, and going to her room, leaving the Gryffindor standing in the living room with a lot to think about.