Chapter 18

Morning after the shooting

I was worried sick all night, tossing and turning in my bed unable to sleep. I knew that America was taken care of, even after I stayed with her for an extra hour. I lay in my kind sized bed as the sun peeked through the drapes. I groaned and turned onto my stomach, resting my head on my folded arms. I exhaled sharply debating on whether or not I should get up and get a head start on the day or wallow in my own self loathing. I felt entirely guilty that she got shot, I should have made her stay.

"Your Highness?" Hunter called. I threw my pillow over my head and groaned. Hunter chuckled and walked up to my bed. "Sir, you need to get up. Breakfast will be starting soon." There was no point to even go because America wouldn't be there which would make me start obesessing over how she is again.

"I feel sick," I grumbled into my pillow. Bravely, Hunter snatched the pillow out from under my tight embrace and threw it on the floor.

"I shall have you brutally thrashed for that," I said with a glare. Hunter laughed and eventually I sat up. After my bathroom routine, I walked into my dressing room and allowed Hunter to dress me up in preparation for breakfast.

"Penny for your thoughts, sir?" he asked as he tied my tie. Hunter was the closest thing to a best friend that I had and I desperately wanted to relieve what was on my mind, but I knew it was too dangerous.

"Thank you, but I'm alright, Hunter." He looked up from his hands and looked me right in the eyes, knowing so easily that I was lying. Thankfully, he didn't pry.

"Would you please ask my mother to meet me in the Great Room before breakfast?" I asked Hunter. He nodded and I left for the Great Room. The large windows in the room made for beautiful light and it reflected through all the glass sculptures.

"Maxon, dear, is something the matter?" asked my mother as she entered. I turned around to face her and her face was wracked with concern.

"No, mother, nothing of the sort." I stood there awkwardly, unsure of how to start. As if she knew, she sat down on one of the sofa's and patted the seat next to her.

"What is it, darling?" she asked me softly. I took a deep breath and began to wring my hands together and then stopped. If my father saw that I would be scolded.

"Mother," I began apprehensively, "per our conversation the other day, I've been doing some thinking."

"Go on," she urged. I sat up straighter.

"There was a...talk that I had with America recently that really put things into perspective. I've been trying to find the right time to tell her how I feel but it seems like there's always something in the way. I know I'm meant to be looking for a wife that will uphold the Schreave reputation, but I'm also looking for my best friend, a companion to be by my side forever. When I'm with Kriss, I feel that. She has such a big heart and she's not afraid to share it with me and I love that about her, about us. There are no secrets. " She looked at me with mild confusion.

"There is a point to this, don't worry. As I'm sure you remember, I wasn't too thrilled about the selection when we first discussed it. I was petrified because I've never really known what love was. Daphne, before she left, told me I wouldn't know real love if it stared me in the face and I feared that she was right. But now, with America, I feel it. I just...I feel it, mom. I want to marry her and I don't mind waiting for her to figure out how she feels about me, but I can't wait anymore."

"What does this mean?" my mother asked. She didn't try to rush me or scold me for babbling. I think in her own way this was her showing her love for me. The love between my parents is quiet and my mother is quite reserved so I've never really explicitly seen it until now.

"I was wondering, if you wouldn't mind, will you help me pick out a ring?" By the time I was finished, my palms were sweaty and I was sure that my cheeks were bright red. She was silent for a moment before she broke into a wide smile.

"I would be honoured, Maxon." I breathed out a sigh of relief.

"Really?" I asked, scooting closer on the couch. "Will you help me today?"

"Of course," she replied. I beamed and wiped my sweaty palms on my trousers. I stood up and exhaled the breath I was holding.

"Maxon...are you sure about her? I don't want to influence your choices in any way but I want to make sure this is who you really want."

"Yes mother, I'm sure. I've never been more sure about anything before." I was partially lying to myself because of all the uncertainty surrounding us but I chose to ignore that. With our impending conversation looming and showering me with excitement, we went to breakfast.