Dirty Cheater

We arrived at the library and Sunny jumped down from my basket. He started walking down the various isles and would knock a book or two down every so often. I picked up all the books and he eventually led me to a table. He pushed one of the books towards me and once I opened it he started flipping through the pages. I glanced up at him before I started reading.

The passage ended up being about a very powerful demon with a great amount of power. It said that the demons powers were various colors and his eyes changed colors when his magic did. It talked about how he was the most feared thing in the entire world. He spent years and years trying to master all of his powers. There were various stages as well his body had gone through while harnessing these powers. The stages were bleeding, bruising, open sores, unconsciousness,and magic practically dripping from the mouth.

I continued to read well into the day and even into the night. I took all of the books I could afford to carry and placed them into my basket. When I left it was already the next day. "Let's go check on Max." I told Sunny as we headed over to the royal stable.

When we arrived I saw Rapunzel petting Axel and Max next to him looking more tired than he's ever been before. I slowly walked over to Max and pet him. "Did you not sleep well Max?" I asked softly and he shook his head. I sighed and waved my hands around themselves again releasing the green mist. This time, the sparks were more painful than the last and I bit my lip to keep myself from making any noise. I blew on my hands and the green mist disappeared to reveal an even bigger apple than the previous one I made for him.

"Woah! (Y/n) how did you do that?!" Rapunzel asked staring at the large apple. "O-oh yesterday I saw that Max was looking a little run down so I just kind of did it. I hope this one tastes better than the one from yesterday!" I said holding it up to Max to which he happily ate. I looked down at my arms and watched as bruises formed all the way up past my elbows. 'Is that story about my father?' I thought to myself.

"Oh there you are Max. I've been looking for you." The captain of the guard said while he ran towards us. "I know you're aware of our intention to find Axel a home today. But after some serious thought I've made a slight change of plans. In light of axels impressive show yesterday, and seeing how inseparable you two have become, I've decided Axel is just what we need around here." The captain said and there was a sad look on Max's face. I hugged him slightly hoping it might make him feel better, but winced and pulled away soon after. "Maximus meet the newest horse on the royal guard." Max was just as shocked as I was.

"No offense captain but do you let just anyone on the royal guard?" I asked staring up at him. "What do you mean?" He asked. I sighed. "I'm just saying that while it took you to trust Eugene who knows how long, but you're going to add a random horse in a day? It just doesn't sound right to me." I said shrugging my shoulders. He just rolled his eyes and walked away.

"Cmon Max. Let's go searching." With that Sunny, Max, Pascal, and I went to look at the kingdoms rules and regulations. I sat at a desk with Max behind me, pascal flipping through pages, and Sunny sitting on the desk staring at the book as well. Soon Rapunzel came in. "Are you excited that Axel's joining the force Max?" She asked. He simply huffed and pushed the book towards her. "Read that Punz." She picked up the book reading it out loud. "Before gaining acceptance to the royal guard, every man, woman, or horse must pass a series of tests designed to measure his or her qualifications." "Axel can't be part of the royal guard without this." I said smiling at her.

We went out to the training yard where Axel would be tested. I was sitting on the sidelines with Sunny wrapping my arms up with a bandage. "I don't have a good feeling about that horse. And what is up with everyone just treating Max like a moldy sandwich?!" I asked Sunny thinking out loud. "It's like his years of service never mattered to them!" I said before bitting my lip and flinching from the bandages I was wrapping around my arm. Sunny just stared at me and I finally finished. "Okay. Let's go and support Max! No matter what we'll stick by him when no one else will!" I said to Sunny before getting up and heading over to Max who was trying to stand on his hind legs.

"You okay Max?" I asked and his simply huffed watching as Axel lifted up a huge weight and I watched as all the guards cheered him on. Max suddenly ran forward and picked up the weight before starting to swing it around. "Max wait! Stop!" Rapunzel and I both cried out, but it was too late. The weight was flying through the air and almost hit old lady Crowley. The tests kept going on and on and Max was getting more and more upset and trying to prove himself to everyone. I tried my best to keep him calm but it was no use.

"Well at least Axel made a good showing today. Congratulations you're now a member of the royal guard." The captain said. "Really, Max, you don't have to be the best at everything." Rapunzel said. "Yeah cause Axel is!" One of the guards said. 'Oh now I'm pissed.' I clenched my hands not caring about how much it hurt. I watched as Max drew a line on the ground. "Well well well. Looks like we have an old fashioned horse challenge here." The captain of the guard said and everyone cheered except Eugene and I who were both confused.

Axel and Max were both lined up and I walked up to Max. "No matter what happens out there Max please know that you will always be the number one horse in my heart." I said offering him a smile and hugging him tightly trying to ignore the pain in my arms. When I pulled away Max stared at my now bandages arms. I giggled and pet his snout. "Don't worry about me! I'm fine! Now you have a competition to win!" I said giving him another apple.

The captain explained the rules. I raised my hand above my head and disappeared and reappeared at the finish line. 'You can do it Max. I know you can!' I said to myself. I watched as they started running to me. They were nearing the bridge when Axel shoved Max causing him to fall into the mud. 'That dirty cheater!!!' I said to myself gritting my teeth and clenching my firsts hard enough to draw blood. Rapunzel and I helped Max out of the mud and took him back to the castle.

"Cheer up buddy. So maybe you didn't put your best hoof forwards today, but as far as I'm concerned you're still the best horse in the kingdom." Rapunzel said before walking away leaving Max and I. "I saw what happened out there Max. Axel cheated. I don't like him any more than you do. Just give me time and we can make a plan to expose him okay?" I said softly. He nodded and the captain wanted to talk to Max so I let them be.