ch.29

still

   i knelt down by beth, helping her with the fire while davina collected water and daryl caught food.

     once everything was arranged, we all sat quietly around the fire, eating cooked snake daryl had brought back.

      i picked at the snake, eating around the chard and fatty pieces until that was all that was left.

     "i need a drink" beth stated, causing davina to grab a bottle out of her bag, handing the water to beth.

    "no, i mean a real drink as in alcohol." beth started, pushing the water back to davina, "i've never had one. cause of my dad but he's not exactly around anymore, so... i thought we could go find some."

   daryl continued to ignore her, while i stood up, brushing my hands against my jeans.

    "i think we should focus on finding glenn, maggie, the rest." i retorted, looking down at daryl who ignored me too.

    i scoffed, "enjoy your snake jerky"

    beth decided to join me as we walked through the woods, in search of tracks or "a drink"

      "jerk" she mumbled, once we were far enough away so he couldn't hear. walkers caught my attention, causing me to pull beth aside.

      "shhh" i uttered, holding a finger to my lips as we hid behind a tree, hoping they didn't see us.

     a twig snapped behind us, causing me to jump in freight, raising my knife in front of me, only to see daryl and davina.

     "come on, let's go find booze" he stated, earning an eye roll from me but at least it made beth happy.

    "i'm pretty sure we got to go that way to find booze." beth informed, pointing in the direction she was talking about.

     my eyebrows furrowed, hearing clanging when i took another step, realizing he had led us back to camp.

    "what the hell? you brought us back" beth started, pushing past me to see daryl, "i'm not staying in this suck-ass camp."

     i watched as she threw her middle finger up, only igniting a flame in daryl. "hey!" he sneered, grabbing her wrist to pull her back.

    "what the hell is wrong with you? do you feel anything? yeah, you think everything's screwed. i guess that's a feeling."

      i took a step in between the two, glancing at both of them, "beth, i-" before she could finish she cut in, "i can take care of myself and i'm gonna get a damn drink"

   we watched as she took off, causing me to hesitate before grabbing my knife out. "if you think i'm leaving beth out there alone, you're out of your damn minds."

    with that, i took off in her direction with davina at my side, soon daryl joining us too.
______________

   "golfers like to booze it up, right?" she questioned, causing me to shrug, only wanting to look for glenn and the others.

    "come on" she mumbled, leading us to an abandoned country club building. we slowly stepped inside, carefully checking for any walkers.