7: This Game

This Game

"Sadie, wake up." An all too familiar British accented voice awakens me.

"Come on young lady, you can't sleep the day away." My mom sings at an annoyingly level of noise.

"What time is it?" I groan.

I feel like I just woke up. I didn't get home until one last night which is extremely late for me considering I usually fall asleep every night at ten.

"It's seven o'clock." She chirps.

Yes my mom is a strong believer of waking up at the crack of dawn. When I ask 'why seven' she responds with, 'It's a proven fact that people who wake up at seven on a regular basis are happier'. So because of this 'proven fact' I have to wake up at seven o'clock every morning. Including weekends.

"A couple more minutes Mom." I whine turning over in my bed.

"Not this time young lady, your grandma is coming over for lunch so you have to go get a few things for me." She says yanking the covers off of my body. The warmth of my comforters leaves me to be replaced with the ice cold of my bedroom.

"Why?" I whine once again. I think I sound like a dying pig at the moment.

"Because I said so, so come down stairs when you're presentable." And with that she walks out of the room, her high heels clacking down the stairs.

[][][]

"Drive safely Gamma." I call out to my frail old Grandma as she gets into her car.

"If you say one more thing about me being careful as if I'm a piece of glass I will come back over there and kick your ass." She calls back to me through the rolled down window.

My mom and I laugh as we close the door behind us. My grandma may be a thousand years old and part of every wealthy female club in town but she is feistier than anyone I know. Her looks truly deceive her personality. I don't know why my Mom tries to be so perfect around her when she knows that Gamma is not perfect at all. Hell I'm pretty sure she has a tattoo on her ass.

Both of my Dads parents were crazy hilarious. Even if they should have been in a retirement home, they still ran around town causing people trouble because... well they can. Ever since my Grandpa passed away last year my Grandma has been around more often and causing less trouble. I can tell she misses him, I do too. I loved him a lot and we were really close. I used to spend every summer with them at their summer house in Arizona since I was eight years old.

"I'm going out Mom." I call over my shoulder as I run up the stairs to grab my bag.

By the time I get back down the stairs she's still standing in the entrance by the front door. "And where exactly will you be going?"

"Studying with Ella. We have that history test next week and we want to make sure we ace it." I lie. My mom is probably the strictest person I have ever met. She would kill me if she knew that I was going to a sports game like some type of crazy guy, where it's hot and sweaty and people are screaming for no reason. Plus how ever could I stand to eat one of those monstrous things they call hot dogs and still keep my dignity.

Note the sarcasm.

"Well make sure you're home by nine." She calls after me as I walk out the front door to my car.

I drive down a few blocks to Ella's house. Like always she's sitting in the window of the living room waiting for me. She bolts out of her seat and not a second later is opening the front door. She slams it behind her probably trying to get away from her parents as soon as possible.

She jumps into my car throwing her bag at my face. "Go! Go! Go!" She screams as her mom comes running out of the house with a tray of food.

Even though I just got hit in the face with a big purse, I slam on the gas and zoom down the street. Mrs. Rock with her food is an addict with their drugs. Hands down she makes the best roast beef and chili I've ever known but she will pull you with her tasty food and twist you around her finger until you're the size of an elephant.

I still don't know how Ella is not two hundred pounds overweight.

On the way to the school we listen to Ella's IPod which mostly consists of Parachute and Ed Sheeran Oh don't let me forget the unbelievably amount of John Mayor songs.

We talk about how much we hate gym for most of the car ride. As I pull into the parking lot Ella asks, "Hey why does it smell so bad in here?"

Before I can make up a lie there is a pounding on my window making us jump in fear. I turn to see Mary Jane standing there with a big grin on her face along with a few other girls from school.

I roll down my window and as soon as she has a chance, Mary Jane is popping her head in the car. "The game starts soon and guess who is pitching?" She says in a high pitched voice. The same voice she gets when she gets excited.

"The pitcher?" Ella asks confused while opening her car door to get out. Mary Jane leaves me to roll up my window and to get out of the car.

"It's Lucas," She says jumping up and down clapping her hands.

I shut the door behind me. "Mary Jane, you need to get out more. We know he's pitching that's why we're here." I say laying a hand on her shoulder.

Her shoulders droop down along with her smile. "You're no fun. I thought you were going to be excited."

Thank god the other two girls walked off with Ella a couple minutes ago so they couldn't hear this.

"I have liked the guy for six years Mary Jane. I'm not one of those weird girls who have a heart attack every time I see him or talk to him. I got over that stage last year." I tell her while handing five dollars to the lady in the front.

Mary Jane laughs behind me. "Six years seems kind of long. Why don't you ever make a move on him?" She hands her money to the lady also and we both pass through.

"Because I like staying in the back ground. Every time I think about trying to do something the world sends me a sign saying 'don't do it'. Remember freshman year when I was walking up to ask him to Homecoming but in the same moment he asked another girl? How about seventh grade when I was going to try to sit with him at lunch and someone ran into me, spilling their spaghetti all over me?"

Mary Jane spots Ella sitting in the front row so she leads us over to her. "But it's senior year now Sadie. If he rejects you than it's no big deal because you won't see him again."

"That is not true. My dad is his dad's boss and it is a big deal. I'm in love with him and I don't want to get my heart broken." I say sitting on the blanket that Ella laid down for us on the bleachers.

"But if you never try you'll never know what you're missing."

"Missing what?" Ella joins the conversation.

"Lucas." Mary Jane replies simply.

"Oh yeah, come on Sadie, you could be the girl wearing his jersey and not Lucy." She points down the row of bleachers to where Lucy is sitting wearing her boyfriend's baseball jersey that he isn't using for this game.

I look in envy at how happy Lucy looks. That smile on her face is no doubt from her boyfriend.

"Let's just drop it okay?" I say politely right before the announcer begins the game.

...
**Sadie lives in America, her mom is just from England