Chapter 2

Alew

(n.) A cry of despair

Moments later a black car pulls up beside her, the window rolling down to reveal a man that appears to be in his early to mid-twenties

Moments later a black car pulls up beside her, the window rolling down to reveal a man that appears to be in his early to mid-twenties. "Lilliarna?" She nods her head, not waiting for the man to reply before throwing open the door and climbing inside.

Rain soaked hair drips down her back, the cold water forcing a shiver to wrack through her body despite heat blasting from an overhead vent. Music comes to life from the front of the car, slightly drowning out the sound of the beating storm outside. All around her the car hums as it moves, pulling away from the curb. Wipers fight furiously against the downpour, flinging water to either side. Lilliarna groans, sinking into the dark leather seat, the feeling of the smooth material relaxing her. Outside the wind howls, pushing against the car to no avail. The car's tires hug the black tarmac, headlights illuminating the onward road.

Passing time she stares out the window in silence, watching as the city's tall brick buildings fade into residential homes and finally dot out into nothing but forest on either side. The tall trees shake and sway in the violent storm, their silhouettes back lit by flashes of light. Drops of water run down her window as she watches their race, smiling at her first moment of trivial thought in a long time. Her head rests against the window ledge, eyes growing heavy as the warmth of the car and constant beating of the wipers lull her to sleep. Closing eyelids signal her succumb.

Blood. So much blood.

Lilliana's ears ring as panic fills every crevice in her body, forcing bile up into her throat. A crimson pool spreads on the ground, warm and sticky as it flows around her paws. The airs' heavy with a metallic smell, matching that of the taste in her mouth. Dull, lifeless brown eyes of a large wolf stare back at her; his throat pouring blood at an alarming rate.

Without a thought, her feet begin to move, throwing her instinctively further into the woods. A small tree root sticks up, tripping her as she tumbles onto the ground. Her feet scrape at the ground, trying desperately to get her footing and stand up. A voice distantly calls her name and she collapses. Grief and guilt swallow her whole as the voice draws nearer. It's over, she thinks to herself. Was it even worth it?

"LILLIARNA" The voice calls her name, the sound coming from every direction, enveloping her. Tears stream from her eyes.

"Lilliarna", A light sheen of sweat covers her skin as her eyes fly open. Her lungs frantically inhale, her mind dizzy and confused. Around her the sounds of the car hum back to life in her ears, grounding her as she sits up. The driver clears his throat. "Must have been some nightmare"

Deep breaths fill her lungs, calming her body. A nightmare. "Yah. Thank you, sir." She watches as his eyebrow cocks in the rearview mirror. "For waking me I mean."