Bruce Banner x Reader - Protect

Y/N's P.O.V.

"Y/N, can you get the big guy?" Steve looked at me as the rest of the team moved back towards the jet. I nodded and picked up a blanket, before I moved over to Hulk, who was breathing heavily and looking around.

"Hulk?" I called out and his head snapped towards me, his eyes softening. For a moment, I could see Bruce, not Hulk.
"Hey. You did great today." I smiled at him and his lips curled up.

"Hulk did good." He nodded and I laughed a little.

"You did very good." I nodded, lifting my hand so my palm was facing.
"Why don't you get some rest? Let Banner come out?" I suggested and he hesitated, before pushing his huge hand against mine.

"No need rest." He mumbled.
"Hulk stay."

"Hulk, I'd love it if you stayed, but I have a couple of things I'd like to talk to Banner about." I spoke calmly. He didn't usually argue about calming down, but I wasn't worried. I wasn't scared of the Hulk. We were friends, he wouldn't hurt me.
"Please?"

"You like Banner more than Hulk." He looked at me and I sighed.

"I like you both, but you've done your job, big guy. It's time for Banner to do his." I tried, glancing back at the team, the last of the bad guys being rounded up.
"Hulk-" The sound of a gunshot took everyone by surprise and a horrible pain shot through my torso. Hulk roared loudly as someone rushed to my side, but a large hand wrapped around my waist, before Hulk picked me up completely.

"You hurt friend!" Hulk yelled and I looked at Steve and Tony with wide eyes, before Hulk jumped. He was running and jumping far away from everything, but I was more concerned over the injury on my torso.

"Hulk, I need a hospital." I said through the pain.

"No. Hulk protect." I couldn't really argue with him, feeling lightheaded as I tried to apply pressure. The bullet had gone all the way through, so I just had to focus on the bleeding.
"Hulk protect friend." I heard him faintly say, before I blacked out.

~

"Oh, God." I groaned, struggling to sit up. Pain shot through my belly and I whimpered a little, looking around in confusion. I was in my room at the tower, but I had no idea how or when I got there. There was a small knock at the door, but before I could react, the the door opened, revealing Bruce.
"Hey."

"Hi." He replied and there was a guilty look on his face.
Bruce and I had always been close, ever since we met. Fury personally assigned me to keep an eye on him and keep him from turning green, so that's what I did. However, it turned out me and the doctor had a lot in common. We quickly bonded and even after Fury decided my mission was over, I couldn't help but stick around. I did have a bit of a crush on Bruce, but I never let it affect our friendship.
"How are you feeling?"

"Sore." He nodded and I sat up a little more, leaning against the headboard.
"What happened? I remember getting shot and then... not much after that."

"The other guy... he tried to get you far away from danger as possible, but you passed out and he panicked." Bruce sighed, coming over and sitting next to me on the edge of the bed.
"I think he forgets that not everyone is as indestructible as he is. I managed to take over and Tony found us." There was a frown on his face.
"I'm so sorry, Y/N. This wouldn't have happened if I-"

"Hey, no. Don't you dare blame yourself." I shook my head.
"You weren't in control and Hulk was just trying to help. If anything, I should be thanking you for taking over when you did."

"Am I alright to take a look?" Bruce asked almost nervously and I managed to laugh a little.

"Go ahead." I moved the bedsheets out of the way and Bruce carefully lifted up my tee, before unwrapping the bandages. I winced in pain and he apologised, before the wound was uncovered.
"That's gonna leave a scar." I mumbled, not really phased by the wound. I wasn't surprised it hurt so bad, it was a mess.

"Does it hurt?" I nodded my head and he fixed the bandages.
"I can get you something for the pain-"

"No." I mumbled.
"The I've had worse, it'll be fine. Just stay with me for a bit?" I asked and he nodded.

"You almost died." Bruce spoke softly and I looked at him carefully.
"You could've died and there's so much I've never told you."

"I don't plan on dying anytime soon, Brucie." I gave him a small smile, but the worried look on his face didn't fade like I expected it to.
"Bruce?"

"It was me. I broke your favourite cup last month-" I burst out laughing, which ended with me clutching my injury and grimacing in pain.
"What?"

"I knew it was you. I knew it was you as soon as I realised the cup was broken." I shook my head and Bruce looked at me with wide eyes.
"I only made a big fuss out of it, because I was bored and Loki bet that I couldn't cause more chaos than him. I won that bet after Tony offered to buy the company that made the cup." I shrugged.
"You said there was so much you never told me and then you looked so scared, I thought you were about to confess your undying love for me or something." I smiled at him and his cheeks tinted pink.

"Actually..." He cleared his throat.
"I uh..." He looked down at his hands awkwardly.
"I wouldn't call it undying love, not yet. But if you want to go to dinner sometime I actually know this nice place where we could go?" I looked at him in shock and he sighed.
"I'm sorry. That was weird, right? Just pretend I didn't-"

"Maybe wait until I've healed a bit and then I'd love to." I smiled shyly and now Bruce was the shocked one.