Chapter 8

A/N: Okay, this chapter might be a little shorter than my chapters usually are. :((

But you can’t exactly blame me!!! Be glad I’m updating at all!! :((

My exams are tomorrow, so be grateful that I actually managed to juggle my revision and updating at the same time.

Edit: Apparently it’s a little longer than I usually write. ._.

Note: If you read Chapters 1 and 4 past 26 February 2021, then I would have already changed Jolie's age.

It didn't flow well, Jolie used to be 4 years older than Sophie, but I changed it to 12 years. :))

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~
Keefe

“Hold still,” Physic, the Black Swan’s physician, scolded.

It wasn’t like Keefe was in the mood to move. That kick Sophie gave him sent him flying off the ladder.

He’d ended up with 2 cracked ribs and a dislocated shoulder. Man, that girl could kick.

But neither of his injuries hurt more than his heart.

Great, just great, Sophie. AWESOME TIME TO LITERALLY KICK HIM AWAY! JUST WHEN SHE NEEDED HELP!

Barely a word was uttered amongst them after the mission. They had been forced to retreat back to the Pathfinder, which should have been Sophie's car, except that they left without the Sophie!

The only person who actually talked was Physic. But that was only because she was busy fussing over all their wounds.

Biana looked like she was trying hard not to cry. Dex kept punching the wall, mumbling to himself that he should have helped her, completely ignoring Squall, who was trying to get him to stop. Tam… Refused to come out of the shadows, such that it looked like Linh was talking to a wall.

And Keefe… Well, he didn’t know what he was feeling. A whole jumble of emotions. Sadness, fear, worry, regret, guilt… Anything unrelated to happy, you name it, he was feeling it.

What completely didn’t help at all, was Agent Forkle’s pacing. He’d practically worn a depression in the CONCRETE floor.

The only thing he’d said was that everyone apart from the collective, Biana, Dex, Tam, Linh, Keefe and Physic, would not know what had happened to Sophie. Even her own family.

The Forky-man had announced that Sophie’s disappearance would be kept classified. Even from the rest of the Cygnets. It was like, they didn’t even get to wonder where their leader went.

At least until they could get her back. The worst part? Keefe doubted they ever would. The Neverseen was completely ruthless. Heartless. They’d interrogate poor Foster till she couldn’t stand anymore torture, then they’d just kill her. Great job, Mom!

“I propose a retaliation,” Keefe blurted.

Everyone looked at him. In his defense, he was probably woozy from the amount of pain medicine Physic had managed to force down his throat.

“Not now,” Agent Forkle said after a beat of silence.

Biana stared at him. “You can’t say that there are stuff more important than Sophie- ”

“I’m not,” he said firmly. “You, of all people, should know how important Sophie is to all of us. How much she means to the Black Swan.”

“Then why exactly, are we waiting?” Surprisingly, that came from Squall.