Chapter XL

Bolin pressed the keys with some skill, creating a wonderful sound that echoed throughout the whole room. Practice makes perfect, he could see now how that phrase was true. He had been practicing this song with Yasuko for a few days and he was better. A lot better actually.

The two women applauded him when he finished playing the final notes of the song he had been learning.
"That sounded much better Bolin." Yasuko said, flashing the young guard a smile.

"I agree. That was really impressive!" Opal exclaimed. Opal had started to venture out of her room lately, with the help of Bolin of course. He had reassured her every day, made sure she had at least taken a bite out of her food. When she needed something, Bolin was sure to get it for her. He was just.. there. He was there for her when she needed him most. And slowly but surely, Opal started to realise that she was safe. Possibly the safest person on the whole planet when she was in this Manor.

Hiroshi had also forgiven her in an instant. What happened at the warehouse was not her fault and the old man helped her realise that too. She was threatened at knife point, of course it wasn't her fault. Her mother had also been there for her but not as much as she would've liked to be. Suyin Beifong was busy, no doubt about that. Of course she had her days off but they were rare. She was a Sergeant after all and with Red Lotus assassins around, she needed to be on alert around the clock.

The younger woman's mind occasionally snaps back to the lady from the market. The tall dark haired lady that always wore that blue coat. The lady with the polite manners. The lady who always seemed to buy a pencil every time she visited the market. Kuvira continued to haunt her and there wasn't much she could do about that really. Every time she fell asleep, she seemed to find herself back in that alley with the cold steel blade against her neck. The nightmares were lessening as the days go by, but she always had an episode from time to time. She hoped it will all wash over soon.

"Thank you ladies." He responded to the two as he got to his feet. He straightened out his uniform and clasped his hands behind his back, just like his brother would do all of the time.
"And thank you Mrs Sato for teaching me."

"That's alright Bolin." Yasuko chuckled as she played a few chords but her playing stopped as her eyes caught vision of another guard standing at the door.
"I think Mako wants your attention."

Bolin spun himself around and rose a brow at his brother.
"Mako?"

"Captain Beifong wants to talk to us both." Mako announced.

Bolin sighed and turned to Opal. She gave the guard a nod and gestured for him to go. Bolin strolled over to where his brother was waiting patiently and walked out of the room, leaving Yasuko and Opal with the piano.
"What does she need us for?" Bolin asked.

"I told Captain about the man that we met." Mako replied. That didn't necessarily go according to plan. It was quite stupid of him to visit Captain Beifong on her days off, especially when it was midnight. He got a scolding for that but, Lin also took the papers off his hands. Hence why she called this meeting.

"Oh, you mean that man that's probably the most innocent being on Earth? That man?" Bolin sarcastically remarked, rolling his eyes in the process.

Mako gave his brother a glare as they both stopped out side of Captain Beifong's office.
"We don't know that for sure."

"He was just looking at a poster Mako." Bolin replied as he crossed his arms in frustration. Before he let his brother speak, he pushed open the door.
"Whatever lets just get this over with."

Captain Beifong looked up from the map on her table. Her wounds had mostly healed apart from a few bruises on her cheek.
"Lance Corporal." She greeted as the guard took a seat.
"I've called you both here because I need to address this situation that you brought to my attention last night Corporal."