one-shot #24

Prompt: You're dragged along to potions class with Slughorn, where he introduces amortentia.

"Look, Harry, I'm delighted to join literally any other class with you but potions? You had to drag me along for this?" You sighed.

"McGonagall's orders, Y/N. You heard her." Ron laughed. You shot him a glare and he quickly diverted his gaze to the floor.

Harry chuckled. "I'm sure it won't be too horrible, it's not like I wanted to do this either."

"Yeah, if you insist Potter."

The three of you arrived outside of the classroom, Harry and Ron awkwardly filing into the room, you quickly following.

"Harry my boy! What are you doing here?" Slughorn turned around, spotting Harry, Ron, and You. "And who may your friends be?"

"Sir, this is Ronald Weasley and Y/N [Y/L/N], they'll be joining me in your course this year." Harry turned towards you and Ron, then back to the professor.

"Wonderful! Go on then, grab your books from the shelf."

You did as told, but as you turned you spotted Hermione Granger, a sixth-year Gryffindor like yourself, staring at you. You two had been friends since your first year at Hogwarts. Best friends, that is- but lately there's been an undeniable tension between you two that you've both been ignoring as best as possible.

After gathering your books, you made your way over to the group of students, walking past the Slytherins and joining the Gryffindors. You stood next to Hermione, giving her a small smile and nod. She smiled back, a small blush forming on her face but she quickly shielded it with her hair.

"Could anyone tell me what this potion right here is?" Professor Slughorn pointed to a potion that boiled in a cauldron.

"Please sir, that's amortentia. It creates an obsessive infatuation with whatever you smell. For example, I smell peppermint, vanilla, and fresh parchment.." (or whatever you prefer to have her smell). Hermione's eyes widened as she realized what she smelled, or should we say who.

"Brilliant, Miss Granger! Miss [Y/L/N], go on, tell us what you smell now."

Your eyes widened. "I uh- I smell old books, lavender, and.. That's- that's all sir." You cleared your throat, realizing that the last smell that lingered in your nose was Hermione's perfume. Of course, you couldn't embarrass yourself in front of the class, so you kept silent.

"Excellent! Now everyone.." Slughorn explained what you all would be doing in his class today.

After class, you walked with Harry, Ron, and Hermione back to the Gryffindor dormitories. Harry and Ron gave each other a knowing look as the felt the tension rise.

"Harry, what'd you say we head to the quidditch pitch and practice for our next game, yeah?" Ron looked to you and Hermione, then to Harry.

"Sounds brilliant Ron, we'll see you two later." The two boys walked off in another direction, leaving you and Hermione alone.

You two walked in silence for a few moments before you both went to speak. Soft giggles left both of your mouths as you turned to each other.

"You first." You smiled at Hermione.

"Okay, um, alright. What was that last thing you smelled in potions today? I know there was something else." Hermione crossed her arms, a hopeful look in her eye.

You sighed. "I smelled perfume, Mione. Your perfume. And if I'm not mistaken, I believe you smelled me too."

Hermione went silent, her eyes wide and lips slightly parted. She opened and closed her mouth a few times trying to find the right words to say.

"Or maybe I'm wrong." Your expression quickly faded from one of hope to one of sadness. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have assumed that, my mistake."

Hermione shook her head and brought her hands to your face, cupping your cheeks. She swiftly connected your lips together in a gentle but passionate kiss. She nibbled on your bottom lip, eliciting a low moan from you.

She pulled back, her face flushed and lips a tad bit swollen. "You weren't wrong. You were perfectly right." 

holy crap, 50k reads?? 1k votes?? thank you guys so much!! i woudnt be able to write this without yall, much love <33