4"

Zenevieva lay awake in her bed, gazing up at the painted ceiling

Zenevieva lay awake in her bed, gazing up at the painted ceiling. Following each intricate line and detail of the design. She hated falling asleep.

Because then she'd be reminded, reminded of how it used to be. How she used to be. How simple it all was in comparison.

Her mind played cruel tricks of her, made her believe she was was back, safe and happy before thrusting her back into the real world.

Sixth year

"Come on Zene" James smirked as he intertwined their hands, pulling her through the deserted corridors.

"What if we get caught? What if someone sees us?" She whispered with a nervous smile

"We won't. I promise" James replied pushing a lock of her hair behind her ear before tugging her down the corridor further.

James ran pulling Zenevieva along behind him while she laughed and told him to slow down.

James sighed coming to a stop, "you're too slow. We will get caught at this rate" a mischievous smile pulled itself across his face.

Suddenly Zenevieva was throw over his shoulder as James took off down the corridor once again laughing heartedly

"James! Put me down!" Zenevieva scolded in between laughs.

James just ignored her, chuckling to himself as he made his way through the hallway.

Coming to a stop outside the fruit Portrait he spun around so Zene could tickle the fruit as both of his hands were busy making sure he didn't drop her.
The Portrait swung open revealing hundreds of houselves rushing around happily and preparing food for breakfast in the morning.

"Mr Potter and Miss Gaunt!" Mitzy the elf beamed as she stared up at the two through wide beady eyes

"Hello Mitzy" Zenevieva called from behind James, where she was still suspended upside down

"Hello miss Gaunt. What can I get you both today" she asked excitedly

"The usual?" James asked to Zenevieva who nodded her head but quickly realised James could see her

"Of course" she replied

"One large chocolate cake please then Mitzy" James smiled to the elf who hurried off in a rush.

He walked over to the spare table that had several chairs placed around it that the elves had put their for visiting students and took Zenevieva off his shoulder, placing her onto the table.

"You know next time I'll have to carry you" Zene smiled as she pulled James towards her with his tie so he was standing infront of her

"You can do that?" James asked with a smirk

"Of course. Look at you. You're all skinny and frail"

"Take that back right now" he demanded playfully, "I'm so muscular from all the quidditch I play. Which I'm incredible at, may I add"

"You may not add" Zenevieva replied straightening out his wonky glasses and brushing his hair out of his face

"Speaking of Quidditch, you'll come and watch my next match?" He asked hopefully

"Of course" Zenevieva nodded, "I wouldn't miss it for the world"

"You better not. Otherwise I'd have to carry you everywhere"

"That's not much of a punishment" Zenevieva smirked, "I got an amazing view"

"Miss Gaunt!" James gasped, "are you objectifying me?!"

"In the most respectful way" She replied taking his hand in hers and kissing his knuckle

"Mr Potter, Miss Gaunt, your cake" Mitzy smiled holding up a large chocolate cake for the couple

"Thank you so much mitz" James thanked, taking it and placing it beside Zene.

They each picked up a fork, not bothering to cut up the cake before digging in.

James and Zenevieva both locked eyes as they shovelled the cake into their mouths, both letting out a hum of pure contentment of the rich chocolate melting on their tongues.

"It gets better and better every time" James said as he took another bite

"We're going to end up dying from some sort of horrible health condition from the amount of this cake we eat every week" Zenevieva laughed as she took another bite, not really caring about her pervious words

"It's worth it" James replied as he placed his fork down

"You've got icing on your lip" Zenevieva Laughed shaking her head

"You know the drill by now Zene" James smirked as Zenevieva rolled her eyes.

Leaving forward and licked the icing off James' bottom Lip before pulling back and smiling.

"Has it all gone?" James asked playing with the end of her hair

"No, not quite yet"

"Good" James shrugged leaning forwards and capturing her lips in a long kiss.

He rested one of his hands on her thigh and one of the table for balence. James, being the clumsy person he was knocked the chocolate cake making it topple off the table.

The two peered below only to see a small house elf with an upside down cake on their head.

Zenevieva placed a hand over her mouth to stop herself from laughing while James pressed his forehead to hers trying to contain his own laughter.

Zenevieva woke up with a start. She brushed her hair out of her face and continued staring at the ceiling.

How she wished she was back at Hogwarts, back with James Potter. Eating that chocolate cake again.

But Voldemort took that from her. He took everything from her.

And she'd make sure she was the last think Tom Riddle ever saw before he died.

Perhaps if she didn't think of James and Hogwarts as her sanity started to decay perhaps her mind wouldn't play these games. But insanity is a cruel game. Unpredictable and rash.

She was unpredictable and rash