Theon Greyjoy X Stark!Reader - Nothing Left To Say

A/N - This chapter is based on the song 'Nothing Left To Say/Rocks - Medley' by Imagine Dragons. This is set in an alternate timeline where Theon wasn't a massive prick and didn't betray the Starks. I hope you all enjoy it.

You had been fighting for your life for years. From the moment your father had ridden out of Winterfell to become the Hand of the King, you had been struggling to keep yourself from drowning. And Seven Hells, there was so much trying to pull you under. 

When your father had first been arrested, you had felt helpless. It was like, as soon as the words had hit you, you had become a scared little girl again, and you had watched in horror as Robb had gone into a frenzy. He had been so mad that logic had flown out the window, and you could only look on with wide eyes as he made claims of war. It was then that Theon had become a soothing presence. Of course, you had always known him; he was practically a part of the family. But he had shifted that day, from a teasing menace, to a caring friend. 

That evening, he had listened as you rambled about the danger Robb would be putting the girls in. And then he'd stood at your side as you repeated your worries to your brother, his hand on your back a comforting presence. 

"Arya and Sansa already have a target on their backs. Don't give the Lannister's more reason to shoot," you had bit out, shaking your head slightly as Robb scoffed at your comment.

"You know nothing of it-"

"I know far more about it than you might imagine," you interrupted, a frown fixed on your lips as you stared him down. "Those girls are the main priority now, and if we rush in they will be the ones who will suffer for it. No one will protect them, and Gods know what could happen to them. What those people will do to them if-"

Theon's hand shifted, capturing yours and giving it a light squeeze. You took the moment, allowing yourself to take a deep breath. "It's okay," he uttered, his thumb rubbing soothing circles into your skin. 

"If we go waging a war against the Lannisters, we won't be able to help them," you finally uttered, taking another deep breath. "If we want them back safely, we need to be smart. We need to figure something out-" Your breath caught in your throat, a choked sound slipping out of you as you shook your head. "We have to play nice, no matter how much that may hurt."

"You expect me to just smile and nod and pretend they didn't arrest our father for a crime he didn't commit?" Robb looked horrified at your suggestion, his face contorted in disgust. 

For a moment, you didn't know what to say. It was a ridiculous thought, attempting to fight with kindness rather than brutality, but it was the only plan that would keep the girls safe. 

"I agree with Y/N," Theon finally uttered, releasing your hand to move a little closer to Robb. "If we start a war, Sansa and Arya are as good as dead. At least this way there's a chance of getting them home safely." 

*Time Skip*

Robb hadn't taken your advice. In all honesty, you should have seen it coming. The moment your father had been taken prisoner, he had been ready to ride off to war, and nothing you had said would have changed his mind once it had been made. 

When Robb had gone riding off, Theon had stayed in Winterfell. With both of your parents gone, and Bran still too young to fully understand how to run a house, it had quickly fallen to you. It was as if he had seen everything coming. As if he knew that you wouldn't cope on your own. Like he had known that when the news of your father's murder had come, you would break entirely. 

He had been there when you received the letter, your body giving up on you. You collapsed right there, in the middle of the Great Hall, your legs giving out from under you as you clutched at the parchment. He had been at your side a moment later, peeling the paper from your hands, his eyes running over the words again and again, as if he couldn't quite make heads or tails of them. And then his eyes had found yours, and you had looked so scared that he hadn't quite known what to do.