Chapter 13- Guess I'm A Libero Now...

Boys POV
"Why is (Y/N) moving to the back row?" Hinata asked Kageyama.
"That's the libero position." Kageyama said, peering through the net to get a better look and confirm what he said was true.
Hinata turned to Nishinoya. "Hey Noya, is that the libero position that (Y/N) is in?"
"I LITERALLY JUST TOLD YOU, DUMBASS!" Kageyama snapped.
"I know dude!" Hinata flinched away to avoid a hit on the head. "I was just getting a second opinion!"
Noya jumped to the front to address Hinata.
"That definitely is the libero position. They might have her there because they want to get a better evaluation of her skills as a defensive player."
"Do you think so?"
"I can't think of another reason why." Noya rubbed his chin.
Kageyama tapped Hinata. "You know what this means right? This means we can go back to the regular quick attack since we don't have (Y/N) ready to block."
"Oh yeah!" Hinata's eyes sparkled with excitement. "We'll totally win this time!"
The game started with a serve from Asahi. He hadn't missed one today, and this one was no exception. His serves had been getting better and better since the end of the summer camp.
The girls team (not (Y/N)) received it with difficulty, resulting in a crappy attack, but it scored because Tanaka timed the block wrong and missed the ball.
"Damnit!" He cursed himself. "I totally could have had that."
Michimiya served on our side and Asahi received it.
The quick attack that Kageyama and Hinata were executing was sure to land- until it didn't.
Time slowed down as (Y/N) dove onto the ground to get the ball up. Her smirk was clear as day in his jump, as he hadn't hit the ground yet.
Droplets of sweat glistened on her forehead, and her hair flew behind her head in a whirlwind. She was looking right into Hinata's eyes as he hit the ground.
The look said, "Try again. I dare you."
Hinata landed wrong and fell to the floor, unable to look away from the girl on the other side of the court. Everyone on the boys team stopped in awe.
Aihara slammed the ball down and nobody even moved to stop her.
Nishinoya was pretty sure he fell in love, and Kageyama was having trouble even comprehending the fact that someone could block AND receive his special quick attack.
"What's wrong boys?" She asked, knowing exactly what was wrong.
Nishinoya smirked. "I know I've said this a few times already, but I like her."

The girls team won that set by a landslide with the score being 25-16. Kageyama was more pissed than any of the boys. As the setter, he blamed himself for not giving good enough sets when it really wasn't his fault at all.
The teams didn't have time to play a third set, no matter how much Hinata begged. They started too late and most mothers were calling their children for supper.
"I guess we'll never know who's better at volleyball," said (Y/N) when most of the girls had left and the guys were packing up the gym. She, Hinata, and Noya were picking up balls.
"Shut up!" Hinata yelled. "We're better and you know it!"
"Well I seem to recall beating your asses today."
"QUIT IT!"
"QUIT PICKING A FIGHT YOU DUMBASS!" Kageyama screamed from the supply closet.
(Y/N) looked back at Hinata inquisitively. "Is dumbass the only insult he knows?"
"Nah, sometimes he calls me moron, or clumsy little moron, once he called me a klutz. But yeah most of the time it's dumbass."
Hinata giggled.
"Damn," (Y/N) said. "He must not be very good with words."
"Nope."
Noya bounded over from the other side of the gym, balls in his arms.
"Hey (Y/N)! Have you ever been a libero before? Cause you were awesome today!" He asked loud enough for people outside the gym to hear. Everyone was curious, so they quieted down to listen.
"No, I've always been a wing spiker."
This surprised everyone.
"But you're amazing! How have you never been a libero before?!" Noya screamed again, dropping the balls from his arms into the floor.
She shrugged. "My hitting ability is better. I'm too much of an asset to the front row I guess."
Ukai, who overheard the screaming, cut into the conversation.
"I don't blame any coaches for wanting you in the front row," he said. "We've never seen anyone who's been able to consistently block Hinata's attacks before. It's a good problem to have, a player like you."
(Y/N) nodded. She knew she was good, and that's one of the best qualities a player could have.

——
So I decided to make Michimiya a little more of a badass in this story, so she'll be a bit more blunt than she is in the anime.
——

Your POV
"Hey (Y/N)!" Michimiya flagged me down as I exited the gym after the practice match. She was exiting the club room, she had changed into street clothes. I waited for her to come down the stairs.
"Hey you did really well today," she said, a little out of breath. "I think that you could maybe become the permanent libero."
She set down her gym bag and pulled her phone from her pocket, vigorously typing something out.
"What's your number?" she asked. "I just need it so I can put you on the team group chat."
We exchanged numbers and the rest of the team gave me their names through text.
"Wait are you sure?" I asked her. "I'm still new, I get it if you don't want me in a starting position just after coming on."
"Oh, definitely," Michimiya nodded vigorously. "Yeah, I know that our offense could use work, but our defense is still really shaky. Until we can get our defense under control to be able to get good sets, then we need you holding down the fort in the back row."
"Won't Watabe be mad?" I asked.
"No, she'll be fine. She understands, and I know she's tired of being in the different jersey. It's a tough position to fill, and she just can't handle the stress."
Way to sell it Captain. If you want someone to fill a position then telling them that the previous occupant couldn't handle the stress probably wouldn't be the best way to go about it.
"Great, should I practice my receives then?"
"Any way you can." Michimiya smiled and waved me goodbye as she picked up her bag and headed to the school parking lot.
I was just about to start heading home when I realised I forgot my water bottle in the gym. I went back only to find that the guys hadn't packed up at all.
"You guys, it's getting dark," I told them as they continued to practice.
"Then go home." Tsukishima didn't even bother to hide his bitterness. I narrowed my eyes.
"I was trying, but I forgot my water bottle."
"Hey (Y/N)!" Hinata waved at me from across the gym with a ball in his hand. "Wanna come block for me?"
I glanced at my phone for the time. It wasn't time to go home yet, my mom and stepdad probably weren't expecting me back for a while.
"Actually, could I receive for you instead?"
"Yeah!"
I was a little less consistent with defense, but I'm gonna blame it on the fact that I was covering the full width of the court in the back row. It was hard.
Nishinoya watched me the whole time and when we went on water break he came up to me.
"I can see why you've never been a libero before." He crossed his arms. I'm not gonna lie, that kinda hurt a little bit.
"Why do you say that?" I asked.
"Your feet are fast but you don't do anything else. All you do is get there and put your arms out, but you don't do the stuff you need to do after you pass the ball."
"Hmm, I never noticed that before. This is gonna sound weird, but could you teach me?"
Noya seemed to be surprised at that.
"What?" I asked.
"You want my help?!" All detail on his face went away and his mouth became almost a rectangle as he practically peed his shorts trying to comprehend my question.
"Well you obviously know what you're doing way better than I do."
When Noya finally recovered from the initial shock of my request he was ecstatic.
"Of course I'll help you, you're totally super cool! And you're super amazing at volleyball!"
I breathed a sigh of relief when I left the gym that night.
I had a place here.
This was already more attention I had gotten in two days than I had gotten in two years back in Tokyo. People were already telling me what a good job I was doing, and when we were playing, everyone was acting like I had been a part of the team for years.
This was the right choice.