CADENCE

CADENCE

A melodic or harmonic configuration that creates a sense of resolution.

"How did you know?" I asked softly.

We were together later that day on an old bench swing in the sun porch. I was laying with my head in his lap as he ran his fingertips through my hair.

"Hmm?" Yoongi snapped out of his daze, "Know what?"

"About us..." I said, my voice low, "About me... What changed?"

"When I saw you with Roy and Jane," he whispered, "I knew."

He sighed and looked down at me, smiling warmly.

"What they have... I didn't think it was possible," he leaned back to look up as he spoke, "I didn't think anyone could be that happy together, for that long."

His fingertips traced down the side of my face.

"When I saw them together, and I watched you helping Roy, all I could see was you," his voice was soft, but full of emotion, "And I realized, I could see myself growing old with you."

I reached up to cup his cheek in my palm.

"I love you." I whispered.

"I love you too..." he whispered back, and I watched his smile fade as he collected his thoughts.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

I slid my hand up his chest, resting over his beating heart.

"It's nothing... It's just... I always looked up to my parents as the perfect example of marriage. I'd hear everyone at school talking about their parents getting divorced, or about kids having step-parents, but there was my family, still... intact." he sighed, "I don't know how she could do something like that. To our family... to my dad..."

I felt a tear fall on my arm.

Min Yoongi, virtuoso, is broken.

I sat up and pulled him back into my arms. I leaned back and he cried on my chest, so deeply that I had wondered if he'd allowed himself to cry at all since his mom left.

"Yoongi, it's not your fault. Your mother made a choice. It was a terrible thing she did, but you cannot let her ruin your life. You have to allow yourself to heal. To love." I hushed, "I'm here with you. I'm not going to leave you the way your mother did. I never want to cause you pain..."

I stroked his hair as he whispered to me.

"I know I've only just met you, Faye, but I feel as if I've known you for a lifetime."

"I know what you mean," I smiled.

He sniffled a bit as he sat up, looking over at me to silently chuckle, laughing at himself and the weakened state he was in.

"You don't have to feel ashamed for crying," I said softly, reaching out to wipe his tears with my sleeve, "There's nothing you can do to scare me away, Yoongi."

He leaned in and kissed me gently, sustaining for just a moment before leaning back again next to me on the bench.

"When my mom left, at that time, I was engaged. We were together for five years. She helped plan my parents' Anniversary with my brother and I," Yoongi started, looking off into the distance, staring blankly out the windows at the snow-covered fields.