Chapter 11

Chapter 11

~~◇~~~◇~~

George is lying on the sand at the bottom of the ocean, looking up at the angry waves above him. It's been three days since he last saw Clay: the weather has been absolute shit. The boy had mentioned something about a tropical storm and had suggested waiting for it to calm down before visiting again. George had just nodded. Neither of them want a repeat of what happened during the last storm. The merman completely understands, but understanding doesn't make the whole situation suck any less. Embarrassingly, he really, really misses Clay. It appears that he's gotten very attached to the boy.

George cannot stop thinking about how safe he felt in Clay's arms, or the gentle kiss he had left on the merman's forehead, or how much Clay's heartbeat had sped up after that. And the more George thinks about it, the more he realizes that his feelings towards the boy might actually be reciprocated. I mean. This man shows up EVERY day to hang out. He had actually admitted to dreaming about George often. He had been so patient in making sure that the merman was comfortable. And though George may generally be an idiot, he's not dumb enough to not notice the way Dream looks at him. He may be colorblind, but he's not COMPLETELY blind.

Reluctantly, but with a much happier attitude, George returns to what feels like the longest wait of his life.

~~◇~~~◇~~

Clay, it appears, is not handling the distance as well as George is. He's spent the past week with Nick, sleeping over at his house until the storm passes. Clay loves his beach house, but it's not the most ideal location during a tropical storm. No lifeguards are needed at a closed beach, so they both have been free to do whatever they want all day. The boys have streamed a couple of times, watched a lot of movies, played an unbelievable amount of board games, and gone through a ridiculous number of pizza boxes. Normally, Dream would be thrilled at the opportunity to spend this much time with his best friend, but he's spent practically every waking moment groaning and sulking about the weather.

"Dude," Nick finally says one evening, "what is your problem?"

"Huh?" Clay responds, "I have no idea what you're talking about."

"Yes you do. Stop being an idiot. I've known you long enough to recognize when something is up. So spill."

"Ughhhh nooo. You'll think I'm crazy."

"I already KNOW you're crazy." Nick smirks, "I've seen you piss the bed and eat cat shit. I think I can handle this."

"Alright fine. Just. Don't freak out, okay?" Clay waits until Nick nods and continues, "remember when I almost drowned–"

"Of COURSE I remember that."

"Sap. If you interrupt every sentence, I'll never finish this story."

"Fine fine," Nick waves his hand, gesturing for him to continue.

"Well..."

~~◇~~~◇~~

POV Change :)

"... and so basically, I think I'm in love with him," Clay finishes, and Nick can no longer hold back his laughter. Between fits of giggles, he barely manages to squeeze out, "dude... best.... story... ever..." As he waits for Clay to join in, he adds, "You're fucking hilarious."

But the wheeze never comes. He looks up at Clay's face, and notices that he is being completely serious. Nick swallows his laughter, clears his throat uncomfortably, and plasters on a neutral face. "I'm sorry. Please continue."

Maybe Clay hit his head harder than I thought.

~~◇~~~◇~~

POV Change

Finally, FINALLY, after a little over a week has passed, the sky clears up, and the waves die down. George zips up to the surface as soon as dawn breaks. He knows he's early, so he prepares himself to wait a couple hours. He doesn't mind. After all those days, a few hours will feel like nothing.

However, as soon as his head breaks the surface, he sees that Clay is already making his way over to their spot. It appears that Clay had had the same idea. Soon, the boy is near enough for George to notice the huge smile that paints Dream's face. The merman knows his own face must be mirroring the expression.

"George!!"

"Clay!!!" George practically launches himself in the boy's arms. Clay reciprocates the hug, pulling him in tightly.

"I missed you," Dream whispers into George's hair. Clay stiffens, turning red after realizing what he had said. He pulls away from the merman, awkwardly clearing his throat. George cannot help but smile at how cute the nervous boy is being. "I missed you, too," he replies honestly.

"Really?"

"Really."

"George? Listen, I–" Clay hesitates, looking up from his lap at George shyly. The merman takes his hand, giving it a reassuring squeeze. Clay continues, "this past week has made me realize just how much I enjoy spending time with you. You're pretty awesome. I think I'm ready to tell you that... Uh.. hm... you probably don't feel the same way... and that's okay... but just in case.. uh... fuck. Never mind"

George cannot help but grin at the boy's awkward attempt at a confession. Mercifully, he grabs Clay's chin, leaning forward to leave a gentle peck on his lips. "I like you too, Dream."

When George pulls back to see Clay's shocked face, the merman wonders if he misread the situation completely. He prepares himself for rejection, getting ready to die in shame and never return to the surface again.

But then Dream finally breaks out of his trance and pulls George towards him, and every thought is replaced by the feeling of Clay's lips on his once more. The boy tastes like salt and sunscreen and oranges and perfection. The kiss is soft and sweet and gentle, and quite possibly the best thing that the merman has ever experienced. George doesn't really know what he's doing, but Clay is patient and kind, tenderly guiding their movements with a palm against George's cheek. He moves his hands up from the back of Clay's neck and begins running his fingers through the blond curls. Dream sighs, tightening his arms around his waist, and George practically melts. After a few blissful moments, they separate to catch their breaths.

"George?" Clay whispers resting his forehead against the other boy's.

"Yeah?"

"Thank you," murmurs before leaning back in for another kiss.