10| Sherlock

Chapter 10: Sherlock (Caden's POV)

"What does that prove? What's your theory?" she asked, quickly increasing the distance between us. 

I smiled even wider. "You think you're so smart, don't you? Just like Sherlock?" 

"Sherlock?" she frowned in confusion. 

"Now figure it out. And let me know when you do, Sherlock." I stood up to leave but she grabbed my hand. 

"Wait, wait, wait, I don't even get a hint?" I glanced down at my hand which she grabbed. And she did too before quickly letting it go. "Sorry," she mumbled. 

"A hint? Hmm," I fell into thought. 

What hint can I give her without giving it away? Or actually, why don't I just give it away? It's better for her to figure it out than for me to explain it. 

"You, Ms. Princeton," I sighed while sitting back down. "Don't hate me." 

She scoffed, rolling her eyes. 

"And I-" 

She perked up, looking at me. 

"Don't hate you." 

She blinked, processing my words. 

"Or well, we do hate each other. But only because we have to. Personally, I feel something else for you entirely. Would you like to take a guess, Sherlock?" I stared at her for a minute, smiling. "Enola suits you better, no? Shall I call you that?" 

"Shut up, I'm trying to think," she huffed, clearly agitated with me. "It doesn't make sense. What else could you possibly feel for me?" 

"Maybe I... let's see, maybe I like you?" 

Her brow quirked up. 

"No, that's not it," I clicked my tongue. "Maybe I'm... in love with you?" 

She rolled her eyes, "Is this a game?" 

"No, that's not it either," I shrugged. "Maybe I... am simply attracted to you." 

"Huh," she mumbled, falling into thought about it. "And why would you, Caden Locke, who has despised me since I was born, before you even knew me... why the hell would you be attracted to me?" she chuckled. 

"Don't you know the saying, darling?" I leaned closer to her. "We always want what we can't have." 

"Yes, but you couldn't possibly want me. We could never love each other. The hate is too much between us and our families both," she replied. 

"That's true," I nodded. "But who says I want us to love each other? No, I had another idea in mind," I smirked. 

"What?" she asked, already wary of me. She always is. 

I lifted one hand, untwisting the thin, delicate straps of her dress. "Tell me, Ms. Princeton," I cleared my throat, pulling the strap slightly off her shoulder. "Are you still a virgin?" 

She smacked my hand away and fixed the strap herself. "Get your eyes off of me. I don't like you looking at me as if I'm a prize," she mumbled. "I'm not just going to be another girl on your list. You've already slept with most of our high school's female population. Leave me out of it." 

I wish I could. I wish I could leave her out of it. I wish I could stick to simply hating her with a burning passion. But it seems like my body has a mind of its own. Traitor. Well, I also suppose that wouldn't be a problem if I didn't think with my dick so much. But I can't not do that now when it comes to her.