Chapter 102 - Mateo

It felt like I'd left a vital part of myself as I walked out of the university, and yet, I wouldn't complain—hell, I hadn't complained at all since I decided to quit. Callan and Gideon had tried to talk me out of it, but once I had decided on something, I didn't back down.

My sister hadn't asked me to take over our father's business, and she would never do it either. Still, I knew her well enough to know when she was hurting, and I was programmed to make her feel better—or at least do something that won't make it hurt even more.

In her mind, all that would be left of Robert was his enterprise, and she didn't want to let that part of him go.

While I hated that I would start working there, my father was fucking thrilled. God, he'd wanted me to work for his company for ages, but I'd stuck to my job as a professor—his anger and sneering words about my job had only been a bonus. All I wanted to do was sell the shitty company to the first buyer, not caring if they ran it to the ground.

There was one positive thing with me being the big boss, though. I'd be able to decide what to do with it and in which direction I wanted it to go in. At least, I would get to do something good with it.

Father was a shitty boss who climbed to the top by sketchy means—I didn't need proof to know what kind of man he was. He was a white supremacist—which he would never admit to. I knew without having to check that he'd only hired the bare minimum of people of color, and he only did that to avoid being chased down by lawsuits.

Damn, that man was sickening. Rebecca stayed naïve to that side of him just because she desperately wanted a parent. If she truly knew who he really was—with hollow heart and all—she didn't let on. My sister was a good person, with no hate in her whatsoever, so maybe that was why she couldn't even hate him, even when he deserved it.

But yeah, that was definitely something I would change when I was in charge of Wright Enterprise. I'd let go of the racist old bastards and hire those who not only needed the job but deserved it, as opposed to those assholes. I'd be generous with the pay and not hoard the money like Robert had done. I'd make life better for others.

Shaking off my thoughts, I looked at the watch on my wrist, seeing that it wasn't long until Emma was done with her shift at the café.

I hurried to my car and drove off. My mood lifted the closer I got to Queens and the closer I got to her. She was like a remedy to help with the chaos currently going on in my life.

It was cloudy outside, and after the warm weather we'd had lately, it felt like a blessing. The temperature was still high enough, but with the sun blocked, it wasn't overly hot.

The drive took a while like it always did when driving in the city. By the time I parked the car, I was stressing, afraid I would be late to pick her up.

My heart stopped as I looked into the brightly lit café, seeing Emma laughing with her co-worker. God, she was breathtaking—even in that clown costume. When I saw her smile at Kevin, I felt jealousy slither into my chest. It was stupid, I knew, but I wanted that beautiful smile of hers to be directed at me.

It had been too long since I'd seen it. I wonder if she had missed me as much as I'd missed her. Damn it, I needed to get a hold of myself; I sounded obsessed.

But that's because I was, I thought. Though, I loved being around her, it wasn't like I needed to be around her. There was a difference. Even I wasn't that creepy.

Emma and Kevin walked out of the building together. He locked the door while she made her way to me. The smile she gave to me was brighter than the one she'd given to her friend, making my heart dance in my chest.