FORTY ONE

"So we really just giving up on our normal lives and dating villains huh?"

Seiko laid back on their couch, chewing on a twizzler. They looked at me with lazy eyes and grinned, seeming much calmer than the last time I saw them. Probably because they were high.

"Well that's what I'm doing. You stay out of trouble." I replied, sitting crisscross on the carpet, pulling at the frays.

Once again, I was skipping work. I didn't even bother calling in. I just kind of figured I was fired at this point, they just hadn't made it official. But I didn't care.

They scoffed and swung the string like candy in circles in the air, "I am trouble baby. I could take on anyone I wanted. Evil or not."

I rolled my eyes and reached over to the table to grab a piece of candy myself, "What happened to that Christa girl? She was so lovely."

They shrugged, "She was really pretty and very sweet but our personalities just didn't match up. We are still friends though, talk often." They laughed, "Now it's me who hasn't gotten laid in awhile instead of you."

"Seiko, you're literally perfect. Just go out more than work and drinks once in a blue moon. Let people see your face."

"I go to the park with my brother often, but I guess it's mostly just kids and older couples there... I mean I'm not against a threesome with some gran—"

"—Please don't finish that sentence." I stopped them mouth full.

They laughed, their shaggy locks falling in their face, "I was joking. Speaking of jokes, how is Staples?" They sighed and let their arm droop, "I wish you weren't a healer, I know that punch would've left a gnarly bruise."

I threw the end piece of my twizzler at them, "You're such a punk. Can you please just give him a chance?"

Seiko pinched the bridge of their nose and inhaled deeply like they were asked a life or death question. In fact I'm pretty sure I sat there for a solid minute.

"Fine. But if Staples gets you into any more trouble I'll hit him even harder."

I rolled my eyes and thanked them.

"Hey do you know how a cock ring works?" Seiko asked, typing away on their phone.

I laughed, "I think so, why?"

"Think I wanna try one out."

"Thought you couldn't get laid. What's the point?" I giggled.

Seiko sat up and glared at me, "I didn't say I couldn't I just said I hadn't. Bitch."

I began laughing harder, clutching on to my stomach. It was nice spending time with Seiko like this.

I didn't want to tell Dabi that I was basically quitting my job, so I left him in bed and just came over to Seiko's when I would usually go to work instead.

My heart still melted at what he whispered last night.

'I know I couldn't say it before... but I do.'

It was so late at night, I couldn't tell if I was dreaming or not. But I felt like I wasn't. It felt real.

He was sleeping so heavily when I woke up that I didn't want to bother him either. So I decided to just keep it to myself. If he really wanted to say it to me, he would.

But now I know he does.

Every time I thought about it my chest tightened. For awhile now I had slowly but surely figured out that I was in love with him.

No one who wasn't in love would do the things I've done for him.

"You're zoning out again. I'm talking to you about a very serious topic." Seiko turned their phone screen to me, "Pink or blue."

I felt my phone vibrate next to me on the floor.

"Uh, pink. Goes with your androgynous vibe but on your dick." I replied before opening my message.

XXX-XXX-XXXX: Thought I'd make it easier and text you myself, but we need your boyfriend for a few days. He will be unavailable <\3

My breath hitched in my throat.

Not again. Something about this feels off. Why would Shigaraki tell me?

I abruptly stood up and grabbed my keys, "Seiko, I love you and I'm so sorry, but I need to go check something."

They lazily waved back at me, "Tell Staples to get a blue one!"

I raced home as fast as I could, every nerve in my body on on edge. All I could do was pray that he was still in my apartment and he wasn't going to disappear out of nowhere again.

I parked my car and ran up the stairs.

After unlocking the door I swung it open, air leaving my lungs relieved.

He was still here, standing by the table.

"Thank god." I sighed, closing the door shut with my foot and going up to hug him.

Dabi loosely wrapped his arm around my waist, his other arm busy. I looked down and noticed he had his keys in his hand. My heart sunk.

"So you really are going again?" I looked up at him with desperate eyes, "I thought you were going to try to get out of this?"

Dabi touched the side of my cheek, his eyes wandering over my face, taking in every feature. Something about his demeanor was different.

I felt uneasy.

"I have no other choice." He stated calmly, running his thumb back and forth, still looking at me as if he was memorizing every inch.

"What if we just ran away or something? G-got away from him?" My voice cracked.

Dabi placed a kiss to my forehead, pulling me close, "You know there's nothing I wouldn't do for you, right? And that's why I have to go."

I pulled back and looked at him confused, panicked.

"Why does it sound like you're saying goodbye?"

Dabi closed his eyes and sighed, a small smile on his face washing over when he opened them back up, "I'll be back in a few days. Just-just stay safe and don't go to the League. Okay?"

My boyfriend grabbed my shoulders roughly and pressed his lips against mine, taking me in as if I was his favorite flavor. Our kiss quickly turned passionate. My hands went up to his neck to bring him closer but he pulled back.

He looked at me once more, glancing me over, and then walked out the door.

— — —

Author's Note:
Shiiiii we getting to the good stuff.