CHAPTER 7

Natalie - the voice of reason - could pat herself on the shoulder for narrowly saving two Alphas from certain death. 

Mariana was a second away from round-house kicking Logan's head off. For the first time in her life she wanted to throttle and kiss someone at the same time this badly. Had it not been for Natalie claiming that the 'wounded had to rest', the feral wolf , a.k.a. Mariana, would've gone Jacky Chang on their ass! 

But, that was yesterdays problem. 

Today's problem was...

I can't believe this is what my life has come to. 

Hiding behind a plant in a hallway wasn't how she pictured smooth escape. Steady thumping of footsteps had forced her to squeeze between a massive flora, hands flat against the wall. With bated breath, she watched a scrawny teenage girl round the corner. 

The music blasting from her headphones could be heard miles away. She was very clearly a werewolf. Soon to be deaf werewolf. Her eyes were closed, head bobbing with the beat. 

Not a threat. If she spots me, I can just rip off her headphones and threaten to destroy them. No teenager in their right mind would risk that happening. She will let me go-

The girl opened her eyes. As if she had sensed Mariana's thoughts, the deep brown orbs zeroed in on the plant. More precisely, the pair of eyes starting at her from behind the plant. 

Shit.

Painstakingly slowly, the girl removed the headphones, blinking twice like she was only seeing a hallucination. Nop. The person behind the green leaves was real, even if she tried not to breath or move and hoped that the teenager would write this to some imagination trick and skip off. 

Spoiler! That did not happen. 

"What the fuck are you doing?" The girl deadpanned.

Mariana knew this wasn't a brilliant idea, but to feel embarrassed in front of fourteen-year-old took it to another level. "Didn't your parents teach you that fuck is a bad word?" 

Great. Just great. Genius approach. 

The teenager snorted, amused. "Didn't your parents teach you that being a creep is bad? What are you, James Bond parody?" 

Burn. 

"I wish." Mariana stepped out from her hiding place. "Couldn't pull that off if I tried." 

The girl inspected her from head to toe like an x-ray. "You're that rogue." She stated bluntly. "My brothers mate. I wasn't expecting you to be...well...like this." 

Her eyebrows shot up in surprise. My brothers mate....That made this girl the sister of the very men she was trying to get away from. Of all the people....Whatever, maybe I can work with this. Black clothes, rampaging hormones, arms crossed defensively. Everything about her screamed rebel - her favorite kind of people. 

"Yea? What did you expect me to be like?" Mariana mimicked the crossed arms, raising an inquiring eyebrow. "Let me guess. Clawing at walls and growling like a lunatic?" 

"Something like that." The girl admitted. "So, what were you doing behind that plant?" 

"Can you keep a secret?" 

"Totes." 

I assume that's a yes in teenage. 

Mariana leaned closer as if she was about to reveal the secret password to nuclear weapons. The girl did the same, intrigued.