xliv. shell cottage

THE WORDS FUZZED IN PARIS' BRAIN, tears pricking at the corners of her eyes

THE WORDS FUZZED IN PARIS' BRAIN, tears pricking at the corners of her eyes. she was surprised she didn't go into an entire body bind, and her knees didn't buckle.

  "i was instructed to kill him, but he was already dead before i could. he knew something. a secret of the dark lord's."

   "the horcruxes." paris nodded quietly, although she was addressing harry— but didn't dare take her eyes off of lucius.

   "and so i set your house on fire. if the dark lord couldn't get to regulus, he would get to his family. but there's the snag— you survived. your foolish uncle saved you."

"don't you dare say a word against my uncle!"

    "the lord was furious. so it was my duty to kill you and mercutio, too."

"but you didn't. because you were scared. you are scared." paris stepped even closer to him. "but i'm not." she took a deep breath and squeezed her eyes shut after realising the reality of what she was about to do. "avada—"

she paused and grunted, feeling as if her mother was watching her from above, begging her not to. 'don't do it, paris. don't do it, darling.' she could hear her voice. begging her not to pull herself down to his level. it was soft and pleadful, and it echoed about in her ears.

'i love you, princess. but daddy must leave you to keep you safe.' came another voice— regulus' voice.

she shook her head, pointing her wand higher at him, attempting to keep her concentration. she was feeling so uneasy that she felt like her stomach was about to bust out from her chest—

"—but i won't." she breathed sharply, backing away quickly and grabbing onto the house elf's arm. "now, dobby! go!"

    WHEN PARIS OPENED HER EYES, she found herself by some sort of seaside, sprawled on the wet sand. "hermione!" she called, spinning her head round to see the girl a few feet away from her, on her knees and grasping her arm. "hermione, are you alright?" she hurried over, trying to distract herself from what she had just found out.