32

Mateo

"Papa, this colour." Zay tells me, holding up a neon pink.

"Ok, we'll get this colour." I take the nail polish from his hand so he doesn't drop it.

"Are you letting your son get his nails polished?" I turn around and am faced with a middle aged woman.

"Yes I am." I nod.

"Isn't that a girly thing?" She questions, her lips put in a tight smile.

"Not that I know of. Nail polish on your nail beds don't have a gender." I say

She brushed her salt and pepper hair with her hand that's fixed into a side part.

"Well then you're forcing homosexuality onto your male son." She chuckles with disbelief.

"Who says men wearing nail polish is apart of homosexuality? He's a child, what he does shouldn't matter. He's having fun and enjoying himself." I defend.

"It's not manly." She shakes her head.

"Ma'am what he does with his son isn't your business. The way he fathers his child isn't your business. The little boy looks healthy and fine, as long as he isn't abusing the child it's none of your business." A nice African-American lady defends while waiting.

"He's gonna ruin the child's brain." The lady scoffs before dramatically leaving.

"You don't listen to what she's saying. I think you allowing him to wear nail polish is great. He looks like a healthy young man." The other lady smiles.

"Thank you." I smile.

The last few weeks here in L.A. has been crazy. My parents have been watching Zay as Nyla and I move in and unpack, so I've decided to give Nyla the day to relax and I'm able to spend time with Zay.

"Can we go to the mall after?" Zay asks as we wait.

"Sure, little man."

"Can you get your nails done with me?"

"Yes."

_____________

"You need to stop saying yes to him." Nyla says as I haul in bags of toys and clothes.

"You try saying no to his little face. It's impossible, baby." I sigh.

"Is this gonna be a problem when the babies come?" She asks, waddling around the kitchen.

"Yes." I answer blankly.

"Christ." She sighs shaking her head. "I need to wash my hair and do something with it, then you need to put my books away in the library, please. I've done what I can."

"Ok." I sit on the island bar stool, watching her move around. The kitchen has dark, almost black, oak cupboards with white granite countertops. The appliances steel and best of the best. The kitchen has counter to ceiling windows which turn into floor to ceiling as the room connects with the dining room.

Off to the right of the dining room the open concept allows it to turn into the living/entertainment room. The living room is full of toys and books Nyla read today.

"I'll help wash your hair." I offer

"Thank you," she sighs, waddling to me as I open my arms. Pressing her body against mine.

___________

"You don't have to be so gentle." Nyla tells me as I comb her hair. "Tug at it a bit. You know, like you do when we have sex."