𝑃𝑅𝑂𝐿𝑂𝐺𝑈𝐸

Swallowing thickly, keeping my eyes levelled with his red, bloodshot ones, I tilted my chin upwards slightly. The mark on my forearm twisting and turning, burning and searing— mocking me, almost. It hasn't rested for a single moment.

I didn't think it ever would.

"It would be an honour, my lord," I breathed out, my voice steady before I watched his thin lips turn into a cruel smile. He nodded, seemingly pleased with my answer.

"Should you, however, not succeed, my child—" The smile-like grimace on his face fell as the words left his mouth, the motion sending shivers down my spine while I did my best to hide the fact. "You're a smart girl, Adreanna. Surely, you understand just how devastated your family would be, hm?"

His head tilted, waiting for my reaction to his buried threat.

"I understand, my lord." I gave him a stern nod. My voice was a calm facade under which my breath almost hitched as it became harder to remain unbothered under his never faltering gaze. "Though, if I may be so blunt, my lord," I began. "I am confident enough in my abilities to say that my family will play no role in this in the future."

Again, his thin lips tilted upwards as he breathed out a low laugh. Shaking his head, he turned around to face the large window behind him.

My body immediately relaxed; I had a hard time keeping my posture from faltering completely, almost like a connection that had drawn me towards him was severed now.

His hands clutched behind his back, and his gaze seemed to flicker over the rose garden of our manor. The air in the room felt thick without the hiss of his voice echoing through it.

I waited and waited for what felt like hours for him to break that silence once more. For him to acknowledge he wouldn't hurt them if I did what he asked of me and succeeded.

"I would not have chosen you for this task if it wasn't for your abilities— you're a talented young witch."

"Thank you, my lord."

I felt honoured, truly, that he had chosen me to perform a task as important as this one. That he had given me the chance to redeem my family's name after what my mother was blamed for that night in the ministry.

I knew I would succeed; I had to.

After all, all I needed to do was kill an old man destined to die at some point, anyway.

A powerful old man, sure.

A powerful old man who happened to be my own headmaster, sure.

But and old man, nonetheless.

A/N: Nemesis is coming soon.

STOP IM SO EXCITED WELCOME BACK GUYS

DIPPING MY FEET BACK IN THE DRACO WATERS BECAUSE I COULDNT KEEP AWAY FOR LONGER THAN TWO WEEKS TBH LOL

For now, updates will be very slow compared to "Potter?" (as my main focus is still on Moira, but also-) because the plot of this one is a lot more intricate and needs more crafting. Nonetheless, I am so so so excited and honestly cannot wait to see this developing.

Until then. <3