9

"Liyue is really beautiful." Anthea muttered in a gentle whisper as she held the glaze lily in her hand.  

As she sat atop Mt. Tianheng, Zhongli stood beside her. "I wonder what drove the Geo Archon to work this hard to such extent." 

Anthea was oblivious to the former Archon's longing gaze as the cold wind blew past her golden hair.

"Love." He whispered.

"Love?" She gazed into his eyes. 

The god of Contracts nodded, taking the spot beside her to seat on. 

"Once, a Forest Nymph whom the Archon loved so much vowed in this very spot that she will help him build a city of lights that could rival the glimmer of the stars. That time, Liyue harbor was nothing but a neighborhood of huts made of hays."

"And it came to happen?"  The Archon shook his head.

"Everyday, they strived harder and harder to make their dreams happen. The Archon's heart was moved. Finally, he wouldn't fall asleep cold and alone beneath the haughty stars gazing down to him anymore. For the Nymph created a home for him in her arms. " 

"And then what happened?"

"They shared everything, from their struggles, their battles, to what brought smiles upon their lips. However Celestia could not permit the love the Nymph and the Archon shared. They've brought down an incurable ailment to end the Nymph's life. Only will she be cured, if she chooses to flee."

"But then she did not flee?" 

"She did not flee. And the Archon was too blinded by his love to see what it had cost. The ailment made the Nymph so miserable, yet she loved him too much to leave him alone. She endured the pain by herself until the ailment stole her final breath. In the End, she did not get to see how beautiful the City has turned. So the Archon did not give up, in hopes that she will one day return to revere at the sight. Liyue was the fruit of the love they had."

As he finished his story, tears fell down the corner of the Anthea's eyes. Perplexed, she clutched her aching heart.

"Are you alright?" Zhongli asked.

"I don't know but, for some reason, that story breaks my heart." She answered as she wiped her tears.

"It breaks mine too." 

"Do you think the Nymph would really return?" 

Zhongli smiled as he stared at the wind. The cold elemental trails bringing his heart into bliss as they touched his skin. "When she does. I wish she remembers."

"Why do you think she didn't?"

"Celestia rarely permits reincarnation. She was just an exception for the Supreme gods were pleased with her willingness to endure. The ailment was supposed to corrupt the Nymph's heart, but she remained pure even in moments of great pain. That's why they gifted her with another life. However, no one was ever reborn with memories from their past lives."

"But her heart would remember, would it?"  

"Do you think so?" Anthea nodded. 

"Shall we test it?" Anthea's eyes widened. The look from Zhongli's eyes suddenly changed that it sent chills down her spine.

Ever so tightly, he held her shoulders to pull her closer. And slowly, when the moon glowed at its best, he pressed his lips towards hers. He poured out all his passion into the kiss, hoping she would remember the feeling. Anthea on the other hand couldn't move. She felt trapped in his grasp as her mind has rid her awareness from her surroundings and instead fed her memories of her dreams once again. 

And as Zhongli moved, visions of scenes showing a man that resembled him so closely filled Anthea's mind. The man from her visions flashed her a smile, he uttered words she couldn't quite hear and comprehend. The visions lasted swiftly, she saw many more things she did not recall she's ever seen in her life.  An infant with emerald hair, a crystal sword filled with crimson blood, and a wilted flower decaying the ground. 

"What do you think are you doing with my wife?"