26. Withdrawal Symptoms

EM

I could feel a presence in the room, the hint of a familiar fragrance teasing my senses. Somehow our lips met in the darkness, irresistibly drawn together like magnets, unwilling to be pulled apart. I twisted his shirt in my hands, fighting the urge to give in to the hunger and tear it from him, while at the same time not wanting the tension to end. His cool fingers cut through the intense heat leaving invisible tattoos of fire and ice across my skin and I gasped, begging him breathlessly to put me out of my misery .  He was killing me with an exquisite anticipation and I loved it but I couldn't bear it any longer - I gave in and ripped the clothes from his body, allowing him to strip me down, body and soul. Entwining myself in every inch of him, I relinquished all control as the tears began to fall...

Fuck!

I beat the pillow in frustration, instantly regretting it as painful shockwaves reverberated through every limb. My cheeks were wet, tangled strands of hair plastered to the side of my face. Strange, I couldn't remember the tears, only the emptiness and sense of loss at waking up cold and alone once more.

All being well I knew I was being discharged today. The dizziness had finally subsided and I could walk unaided, albeit very gingerly. A bag of spare clothes had also been delivered at the same time as the camera, and I assumed I had Daniel to thank for that too - it would explain why I had three extra pairs of jeans but only one t-shirt and no bra. The thought was there though and I was grateful for it. There was nobody else to help me - I'd received messages from Darren and Jules as soon as I was able to let them know what had happened, but by then it was too late for them to do anything. Presumably by now Dan had left the country too, after all the F1 schedule didn't wait for concussed girlfriends, if indeed I could still call myself that.

 At this point in time I didn't know what I was.

"Are you excited to leave?" An impossibly bubbly nurse bounced into view. Just watching her effervescent energy was exhausting in itself.

"I guess" I forced my features into a feeble smile. It was no point trying to tell her that there was nothing to be excited about. There wouldn't be a pair of loving arms to welcome be back into the outside world, only a solitary taxi ride to an empty hotel room followed by an agonising wait until I was well enough to fly unaccompanied.

"Hurry up and get dressed - I came to tell you that your driver is waiting for you"

My driver? My heart leapt and my thoughts shot straight to Dan before I dismissed them with a sigh. I'd told him that I was being discharged and received a short response full of friendly concern but very little else. He hadn't told me where he was, and I hadn't asked. Maybe he'd requested Rachel to organise a car for me, but whatever the answer, I would have bet my camera that he wasn't the one waiting for me. Not that I deserved him. 

I struggled into my clothes not bothering to look into the mirror. I knew I wasn't going to like what I saw anyway, could feel the swelling on my face, and if it matched the rest of my body than I could easily imagine the colour. Whoever had come to meet me, they were just going to have to take me as I was because it sure as hell wasn't going to get any better than this anytime soon.

Hobbling down the corridor my emotions were spiralling out of control, something that wasn't helped by the sight of the tall figure who was waiting for me.

"DAD!" I choked, overwhelmed by a relief and happiness that had been noticeably absent over the last couple of days.

"Wait, not too tight" I warned with a grimace as he hurried towards me, allowing him to place his hands on my shoulders instead of giving me the bear hug I really wanted.