1:FOURTEEN

▪︎

▪︎

As Vienna began to follow Sky to the dance floor, she felt her phone vibrate in her back pocket. She pulled the device out and stared at it, her eyes widening as she read the message displayed across the screen.

Old Man

Burned One dead.

"Hey, what's wrong?" Sky questioned as he placed a hand on her shoulder.

"They killed it," she responded as she shoved the phone back in her pocket and began to rush away from him, weaving through the crowd as fast as she could in an attempt to escape from the party.

Both Sky and Vienna rushed around the academy to find Silva, and finally located him outside, where he was sitting on top of the training mat as he stared off into the distance.

"How do you feel?" Vienna frantically questioned as she rushed towards him with Sky hot on her heels, and hauled herself onto the platform so she was sitting next to her father.

"You said they killed it," Sky spoke up when Silva refused to say anything, his gaze still directed away from the two students. Vienna lifted her hand towards her father's face, her fingers softly tracing the still present black veins. "Why aren't your wounds healed?"

"The one they killed mustn't have been the one that wounded me," Silva finally responded in a defeated tone. "Clearly, there are more than one of those creatures out there," he trailed off softly, the hope beginning to diminish from his eyes as he looked towards Vienna with a sad gaze.

"Then the Battalion will keep looking, they'll-"

"It's too late," the older man cut off. "It's over."

Vienna shook her head at her father. "We're not gonna just give up on you."

"You told us to wait," the blonde boy muttered. "Why-"

"That's all there was left to do." Silva shrugged.

"The one thing you always told me about my father was that he died fighting. And now you're gonna lie here and take it? Fuck that." Vienna stayed silent as the boy marched off in a huff, one arm making it's way around her father's waist in comfort.

"Sky-"

"Fuck that!" the boy called back from a distance.

The girl sighed and placed her free hand in her father's. "He's not mad at you. He's just scared."

"Yeah, I know that," he responded as he placed a comforting arm around the girl.

After a few moments of sitting in silence, the girl pulled away from the man and shuffled off the platform. "I'm gonna make sure he doesn't do anything dumb."

"And how do I know that you won't be the one making dumb decisions, sweetheart?"

Vienna shrugged with a laugh as she turned to face him. "I guess you don't."

"Don't you dare do anything stupid, Vienna." the man called out as she began to walk away from him.

She turned around but continued to walk backwards, both hands dramatically placed against her chest in mock horror. "When have I ever done anything dumb?"

"I have a whole list, wanna see it?"

"Sure!" she called back as she moved further and further away. "Send it by mail and I'll get back to you!"

She let out a laugh as the man shook his head at her, and turned back around to walk normally towards the building. She snorted slightly in laughter as she walked into the Specialist Hall and towards her dorm, knowing fully well that what she was about to do would most definitely qualify as being stupid.

She wasn't looking for Sky. But her father didn't need to know that.

▪︎☆▪︎

Posted a short chapter bc I need comments to boost my serotonin levels

A x