CHAPTER TEN

THE CASTLE grounds were bathed in moonlight, which glowed like sunlight. The night was absolutely quiet. There was no breeze, no animal noises, no nothing. All I could hear was my breathing.

In the moonlight, I stood in the middle of the training field. I removed my shoes and felt the cool grass under my feet. My feet dug into the ground, which provided me with some comfort.

My fingers wrapped around the handle of my sword, which sat in the sheath against my back, as I reached back. I slowly yanked it out, tightly gripping it. My ears were packed with the sound of the sword brushing against its sharpener. I lifted my sword in front of me and swung it at the air around me. The air I created pressed down on the grass, causing ripples to spread across the surface.

I took my time practicing my sword skills and posture. I concentrated on my breathing and felt every muscle in my body move in response to my commands. My heart pumps blood at a rapid pace. My senses were all heightened to their fullest capacity.

Grabbing my dagger from the side of my leg a threw it in their direction, "You are bad at sneaking up on people."

Turning around I made eye contact with Leland, who had caught my dagger in mid-air. He shrugged, "I was looking for you, I thought you'd be out here."

"Well you found me, so now you can leave." I huffed. I re-sheathed the sword on my back. I caught the dagger Leland had thrown towards my side the moment I let my grip on the handle relax.

I sighed and looked at him. He stood with the tip of his sword pointing at me, "I challenge you to a practice duel."

"Why?" I raised an eyebrow.

He simply shrugged, "A lot is going on in your brain right now. A lot of noises and something that I've noticed about you is you seem happier when your fighting."

I thought back to the incident earlier today.

Stress has been starting to weigh down in my body and mind. It's been a couple of years since I've trained anybody or has done what I do best. We had planned to leave in days, the army in training is lazy, I feel like I have someone breathing down my neck all the time- I just couldn't hold it in anymore.

What if I'm not what they were expecting? What if I lost my edge?

I am the way I am for a reason. Because of my family, they made me who I am today. They saved my life, but I couldn't do the same in return.

I felt compelled to defend myself when he saw me in such a star of vulnerability. No one but one person in my life has seen me that way. I can't imagine what he must think of me.

Maybe I'm not strong enough, or I'm a weak girl like he believed in the first place.

In all honesty, I could care less what he thinks about me.

I haven't worked so hard every day of my life-bleeding, sweating, and crying- just to make someone happy. I did it for me, for my family.

He can think I'm weak for all I care. But the fact of the matter is, is I'm not.

I simply rolled my eyes, "I won't play fighting with you."

He frowned, "I don't know what going on in your head, but I do know that this will help you."

I shook my head and laughed in disbelief, "And you believe this why?"

"Just trust me," He sighed, "It helps."

"No." I tried to walk past him speedily, wanting to be far away as possible. I couldn't deal with his foolery right now.

Leland swiftly grabbed my forearm, halting me in my path. His eyes dug into mine. Our faces were unreadable, with no fear, no invitational smirk.

"Fight me, but with no sword." He let go and dropped all weapons on the moist grass. I knew I wouldn't get out of it, so I did the same. I dropped all daggers and my sword in the grass.

We both began assessing each other for any weaknesses, for anything that could give us an advantage.

They underestimated me, thinking I wouldn't know how to fight. I didn't know who threw the first punch, but suddenly my fist was slamming into his face while he drove his fist into my stomach.

We stumbled apart for a brief second to catch our breaths before diving back at each other, eyes narrowed in determination.

He threw his body weight behind the fist that edged closer to my face, it hit my jaw with such force blood pooled into my mouth and pain erupted from the point of impact. With my own two hands I grasped his head in my hands and brought my knee cap up to his nose, there was a silent crack and I released his light-haired head, satisfied at the blood that trailed down his chin.

His emerald green eyes widened before he managed to tilt his head back and slam it into mine, causing my head to throb.

I could hear him panting and I took that as a sign. With a burst of energy, I swung my right leg up, aiming for the area just below the jaw. I hit my target and Leland fell to the ground. I had won, although there was a part of me that had hoped he was going to win.

I felt a wavy satisfaction riddled my body. Leland sat upward with a groan and smile at me with bloody teeth, "See? I told you you'd feel better."

×××××××××××××

Author Note!

Hi everyone, Mickey here!

Chapter TENNN babyyy!

Thoughts >

Feelings >

Random >

How is your day today? Was it bad? Good? In between?

QOTD: so who ships AislinxLeland??? If you do what's some ship names?

I left y'all in suspense last chapter but I hope you can forgive me lol