f i f t y n i n e

I woke to the sound of a steady heartbeat in my ear. I tried to roll over, but a pair of strong arms quickly tightened around my waist. "Few more minutes." Daryl mumbled. I giggled, and opened my eyes. Sunlight had just begun to enter the church windows, but a few group members were already starting to move around.

I turned back to Daryl, whose eyes remained shut. He looked so peaceful when he slept. His normally tense forehead was relaxed, and his jaw was unclenched. I reached up and traced along his jawline. He groaned, and sleepily swatted my hand away. "That tickles." My smile grew, and I planted a soft kiss on his lips.

"Come on." I managed to crawl out of his arms, but he grabbed my wrist before I could stand.

"Wait, I'm coming." He said, rolling over. I combed through my hair with my fingers, and smiled at Daryl's own bed head. "What's so funny?"

"Someone's sleepy this morning." He glared at me, rubbing his eyes.

"It's ya fault ya so damn comfortable." My heart fluttered, and I grinned. Even though we had spent the night on the floor, I slept better than I ever had without Daryl. His chest was better than any pillow, and his arms were better than any blanket.

We walked to the front of the church, where Rick was sitting with Carl. "How'd ya sleep." He asked, shooting Daryl a look.

"Good thanks." I answered quickly, suppressing a blush creeping up my cheeks as our actions from last night filled my head.

"We're-" Rick was cut short by the church door flinging open.

"Where is he?!" Sasha practically screamed as she stormed passed us, and came face to face with Gabriel. He stood up shakily, facing the fuming woman.

"W-where is who?" Gabriel stammered.

"Bob. Where. Is. He." I looked around as the rest of the group was rising from their respective corners. Maggie, Glenn, Abraham, Rosita; everyone but Bob soon joined us at the front.

"I don't have anything to do with this." Gabriel said softly. Wasting no time, Sasha pulled a knife from her pocket, and quickly held it towards his throat.

"Sasha put it down!" Tyreese called, but she didn't listen.

"Where is Bob."

"P-p-please I don't have a-anything to do with this."

"Where is he!" Sasha screamed.

"P-please I don't h-have anything to do with this." Gabriel said quickly, raising his hands in a surrendering motion. Rick stepped towards them, and placed himself in front of Sasha. Tyreese grabbed her hand, and gently pulled her back.

"Why'd you bring us here?" Rick asked the priest. "Are you working with someone?"

"No, no! I'm a-alone!" Gabriel backed up against the alter railing as Rick came closer.

" 'You'll burn for this.' That was for you wasn't it? Why? What are you going to burn for?" Rick asked, suddenly picking him up and holding him by the collar. "Why?! What does it mean?!"

"Rick!" I made my way over to the two men, and placed a hand on Rick's arm. He glanced at me from the corner of his eye, and I gave him a small nod. "It's alright Gabriel. Tell us what happened." Rick let go, and the preacher took a few deep breaths.

"I always lock the doors at night. I a-always lock the doors at night." Tears began to roll down his cheeks as he tried to steady his voice. "They started coming. The congregation. Atlanta was bombed, and they were looking for a safe place. It was so early. So early. And the doors were still locked. It was my choice, but there was so many of them. They were prying the shudders and banging on the siding, screaming at me. The noise brought the dead. Women. Children. Families calling my names as they were torn apart. Damning me to hell. I buried their bones, buried it all. The lord sent you here to punish me." He fell into hysterics as he sunk to his knees.

The group was still for a moment until Sasha began to make her way towards him. She was reaching for her knife again, when a noise outside stopped us. Whistling. Glenn made his way to a window, and looked out. "There's someone outside lying in the grass."

Sasha turned towards the door, and ran out into the morning sun. We called after her, but it was no use. "Bob! Bob!" She cried, as we all followed her out the door.

Bob was lying on the grass, and half of his leg appeared to be missing. "Your leg!" Sasha noticed as well, and began to cry as walkers entered the clearing.

"Get him inside, we'll take care of them." Rick called, and Tyreese helped Sasha carry Bob inside while the rest of us worked to clear the field. After taking out my share of walkers, I made my way over to Carl, who was struggling with one. In one swift slash, the walker crumpled to the ground, and Carl turned to me.

"I had that." He grumbled and followed Rick inside. Rolling my eyes, I followed behind.

The group gathered around Bob, where it became clear that his leg was cut off at the knee. "I was in the graveyard. Someone knocked me out. I woke up outside this place, looked like a school. It was that guy. Garrett." My blood boiled at the mention of his name, and I could see Rick's jaw twitch. "They were eating my leg right in front of me. All proud, like they had it all figured out." He let out a groan, and Sasha grabbed his hand.

"Do we have anything for pain?" She asked the group.

"I think there's some first aid supplies in the back." Rosita responded, started to walk off.

"Save them. I don't need them." Bob said.

"No!" Sasha argued, but Bob reached up to the collar of his shirt. Pulling it down, he revealed a bite mark along his collar bone. Sasha's face dropped, and a tear rolled down her cheek.

"It happened at the food bank." Bob said weakly, and Sasha gripped his hand even tighter.

"There's a sofa in my office." Gabriel spoke up from the corner of the group. "I know it's not much but-"

"Thank you." Sasha sent him a half smile, and Tyreese helped Bob to his feet. They made their way into the office, and closed the door behind them.

"Do you know the place Bob was talking about?" Rick asked Gabriel.

"It's an elementary school. It's close, about a ten minute walk due south of the graveyard." Judith began to fuss, and I made my way over to a box filled with blankets that we were keeping her in. I made my way outside with her, not wanting to hear anymore discussion about cannibals.

"Shh it's alright." I soothed Judith, rocking her slowly as she stared up at me with her big pure eyes. I rubbed her nose gently, and her beautiful eyes began to close.

"You're good with her." I jumped a little at the deep voice behind me, but smiled as Daryl sat down beside me.

"It's something my mom used to use with me before she left." I smiled sadly at the now sleeping baby.

"Ya don't mention her much." Daryl questioned gently.

"She left when I was barely old enough to walk. Haven't seen or heard from her since." I sighed. "With how Shane was, I don't blame her."

"Well ya got Rick now." I grinned, and met Daryl's gaze.

"And you." I planted a small kiss on his lips, as Rick came busting through the church doors.

"That son of a bitch is gonna die today."