fifteen

Luci

This time I didn't dream.

I awoke with the sun and felt around the side of my bed for Saint, but all my hand came in contact with was empty sheets.

"Of course he didn't stay." I sighed.
I don't know why I didn't expect it. He was right; we were not friends. But I still couldn't help but feel some way about it.

Suddenly a short knock came from my door.

"Come in," I called out. I got off my bed and realized I was still wearing his clothes from last night. I caught myself smiling but immediately shook my head.

I paused when I saw the two intruders at my door. My mom stood with Khalil, and held a tray of various different breakfast foods. She smeared a bright smile on her face and Khalil held a bunch of flowers.

"What's going on?" I asked. "Why is he in the house?"

My mom placed the breakfast tray on my desk. Khalil handed me the flowers and I looked at the bunch in disgust.

"Luci, we need to talk," she said. "I know what happened with Celia and Marcus."

I scoffed and rolled my eyes. Whatever she wanted to talk about, it was too late.

"A little late for this conversation don't you think? You couldn't have told me they were demons?"

She sighed and threw Khalil a look. "It's not that easy to grasp. Luce- I mean Lucifer made us swear not to tell you... we couldn't break that oath."

I rolled my eyes once more and snatched the flowers from Khalil's hands. I threw them on the floor and stomped on them before picking them up and tossing them into the trash can.
It was a bit over dramatic on my end, but I was fed up with all the lies.

"Lucille," Khalil warned. "Making a deal with the devil isn't just a feeble promise of some sort. It's a very solemn practice and not for the faint of heart. Your mother made the deal for your protection, as well as Marcuccio and Cecelia."

I pushed passed them and headed towards the living room. Khalil followed me as I sat on my couch. He sat next to me and watched my movements carefully. My mother rounded the couch and stood in front of me with her hands glued to her hips.

"I don't care if you made a deal with the devil. How does that excuse lying to me?"

"Going against his word can cause grave consequences for us. It was for the best," she explained. "You think I didn't want to tell you? Everyone I do is for you Luci."

"I don't want to talk about this right now mom."

She crossed her arms and her expression became stern. "Fine. Then let's talk about where you went this weekend or more specifically, who you were with."

I didn't know if she knew about Saint being an angel or what I saw when I went to Azure, so I decided to play dumb.

"I don't know what you mean."

She scoffed and grabbed me by the shoulders. "Don't play dumb with me," she said. "Now I don't know what exactly you went there for but I know you were with that boy."

I shrugged and removed her shoulders from mine. "I don't know what you want me to say."

"Why are you being like this?" her face fell.

I shook my head and decided to change the subject. "Why is he here?"

Khalil sat next to me and listened to our conversation quietly.

"Because, he needs a place to stay since he's your new guardian. So for the time being, he'll stay with us."

I shot up from the couch and my eyes widened. "No way! He's not staying here. We don't even have room for him."