I Kinda Wish I Wasn't One Call Away This Time

_____________________________

Value not the things you have in life,
but rather who you have in life.
~Unknown~
_____________________________

I spend a little under thirty minutes peacefully conversing with my soulmates. The conversation, once started, flowed smoothly, though there was a period of slightly awkward silence in the beginning. All topics were up for discussion—favorite actors, movies, ice cream flavors, sports, etc.

Enjoying the time spent getting to know my soulmates, I must admit I was a bit annoyed by the sound of my phone's ringtone, which is only the generic ringtone. I do have plans to change it in the future. No, it won't involve illegally downloading music off the internet, why would you say that?

Anyway, the chatter stops with my ringtone cutting Jimin off in the middle of his sentence about One Piece. Once the boys found out that I haven't watched it yet, they made later plans for us to watch it together. I agreed, my heart fluttering at the thought that they wanted to spend more time with me.

Crippling self-esteem issues aside, I take a second to glance at the phone, wondering why exactly Mrs. Jackson is calling at this time.  Sydney's ahead of Ohio by about fourteen hours, which means it's around 5:00 P.M. in Ohio.

Brushing off my confusion, I answer the phone.

"Mrs. Jackson? Is everything okay?"

There's a moment where there is no sound, before a small, quiet sob sounds out from my phone.

"No, everything's not okay."

Her voice sounds broken, like reality has come crashing down around her head and nothing makes sense anymore.

"What's wrong?"

"I met my soulmate."

I stare blankly at the small table in front of me, my mind racing at a million miles per hour. Giving my soulmates a quick smile that looks more akin to a grimace, I excuse myself from the room and return to the bedroom that I slept in last night.

Softly shutting the door behind me, heedless of the quiet chaos I left in my wake, I turn my full attention back to the woman on the other side of the phone.

"You have another soulmate?"

I always thought her husband was her only soulmate—and she never corrected me otherwise. So, it stands to reason that Mrs. Jackson likely never planned on meeting her second soulmate or she wanted to keep them a secret. Though I can't fathom the possible explanation for the latter option—having two soulmates or being part of a triad wasn't common, but it wasn't uncommon either.

Her breathy exhale is answer enough.

As much as I love Mrs. Jackson, I don't quite understand why I'm the one she's calling. It only takes a few seconds before it comes to me—I'm likely one of the few people she feels comfortable talking about this to.

Mrs. Jackson is extremely friendly, but, more often than not, she has acquaintances instead of friends. That's exactly why I wanted her to meet Lucy, who would immediately accept her as a new friend and make an effort to truly get to know her.