COME PRIMA

COME PRIMA

As Before

"Faye! Coffee's ready. Do you want to use a travel mug to take yours to work?" Yoongi called from the kitchen, breaking up my brief conversation with my dad.

"Hmmm?" I took a minute to register what he said, "Yes, that sounds good. Thank you."

I walked out into the kitchen, feeling disappointed but unsurprised that my father would, again, be too busy to watch me perform.

Yoongi studied me as I came into the room, pausing for a moment with his coffee in-hand to watch me put the lid on my travel mug.

"Everything alright?" he asked.

I slipped a flat smile, turning to answer him.

"It's my dad. I rarely hear from him..." I paused to take a sip of my coffee, "He asked how things are going, and I told him about the show tonight. I wish he could be there, but it's thirteen hours away from him. I can't blame him if he doesn't come..." I trailed off.

"I'm sure he would be there if he could," he offered, rubbing my lower back with his palm, "I'm sure he loves to hear you perform."

"He's only ever been to two of my shows. He was always too busy for them. Working extra hours at the station all the time. I stopped asking when he didn't even come to my Conservatory Graduation Recital."

"I'm sorry to hear that. What about your mom?" he asked softly.

"She died when I was little. I never really knew her. I don't really remember her. I was only two."

"What happened?" he asked, reaching around to hold my hip gently.

"Pancreatic Cancer. It came about suddenly, and it was far too progressed by the time they discovered it. She died quickly." I answered, turning to give him a small smile to let him know I had accepted this part of my history.

"I'm okay..." I said, "I just have to stop expecting my dad to suddenly make time for my music."

"Maybe we can livestream the concert. Have someone film it for us. That way you can send your dad the link. Maybe he'll tune in and watch you..."