Chapter 27 Revelation

Back at the East Palace, Xi Chen approached Ye An slowly like he was approaching a small jumpy animal.

Xi Chen started in his gentlest tone. "Your Imperial Majesty, Governess Hsu is preparing the medicine for your pain. She left me here in case you woke up."

"But.. My clothes, the wound.."

Realizing her concern, Xi Chen replied calmly as he poured a cup of water for Ye An while still keeping an eye on her. "Don't worry, Governess Hsu was the one who tended to those. Here, drink this."

Ye An drank the entire cup of water in one shot to calm herself. Once her mind was settled enough, she asked quietly, "Do you know now?"

"About?" Xi Chen asked in genuine curiosity.

Ye An pursed her lips and shook her head. "Nevermind. You can leave now that I'm up and fine."

Xi Chen ignored Ye An's dismissal. Taking an educated guess, he replied to her question from before. "Yes, Your Imperial Majesty, I know. The grand eunuch confirmed my suspicions and Governess Hsu briefly told me about it when we were on our way back." Before Ye An could answer to that, Xi Chen continued, "But don't worry, I don't have a habit of spilling someone else's secret."

"Alright." Ye An sighed as she propped herself up and looked out the window by her bed. Realizing the lieutenant wasn't leaving, she asked, "Why are you not leaving?"

"I'm also in charge of your well-being until Governess Hsu comes back." Xi Chen replied simply.

"Suit yourself then." Ye An replied as she turned to look out the window again.

After a long time, Xi Chen picked up his courage to ask, "May I ask why?"

"Why what?"

"Why disguise yourself as a man?" Xi Chen asked bluntly.

Ye An wordlessly looked at the wind chime hanging over her window that was tinkling with the slow mid-afternoon breeze. She had always loved the quiet tinkling of the wind chime which could always calm her nerves but it was only jangling on them now.

Seeing that Ye An wasn't answering, Xi Chen's eyes softened. "It's alright if you don't want to answer."

Ye An sighed again as she started, still not looking at Xi Chen. "Do you know about the rebellion that happened twenty-two years ago?"

"Yes, I've heard of it. But I don't really know about the details."

"I was born that night. And I was the only heir to Emperor Lee Hwi. A girl. But the Empress Mother decided to announce that a prince was born instead."

"But you could've just become the first female emperor. The position is your birthright."