45. evacuation

Madi's plan was a good one. But it hinged on levels of success. One failure, and it all failed. 

So, a surge of adrenaline and fear rushed through my veins as my team carried out our part of the plan. 

Our role was not an entirely intricate task, but it was arguably the most important. 

Essentially, Emori, Murphy, Bellamy and myself were tasked with the role of drawing out the cannons, the part of the plan that would create safe passage for the rest of the army. 

It was dangerous, that was for sure.

Gun fired rained down against the Rover as Emori drove it through the gorge. I sat in the back with Bellamy, gripping onto the bottom of my seat in fear. 

I did my best to hide by terror. I trusted Madi, and I trusted her plan. But that didn't make this any easier. 

"Can someone explain to me why I'm not shooting this gatling gun?" Murphy demanded from the front seat, his voice slightly drowned out by the gunfire outside. 

"This is Madi's plan." Bellamy shot back. "We have to draw out the cannons."

"By giving them a huge target? Yeah, that's a great plan."

"Come on, John." I said, attempting to mask the shakiness of my voice. "Have a little faith."

No sooner had the words left my mouth when a loud bang sounded from outside the vehicle, the Rover skidding forward harshly. 

I was sent forward, causing me to fall into Bellamy as the Rover came to a harsh stop. 

My worry began rising as Murphy turned to look at me. "You were saying...?"

Sending a glare his way, I pulled myself off of Bellamy and sat down beside him, my eyes scouring the gorge trying to figure out what had happened. 

"What's wrong?" Bellamy demanded. "We're not close enough! Why are we stopping?"

"They got the engine." Emori explained, shaking her head with an angry grunt. "Damn it!"

She angrily hit at the steering wheel before her eyes widened slightly. The gunfire from outside had not ceased, and continued raining down on us. With us no longer in motion, we were even more at risk than before. 

"John, get to the back!" Emori yelled as she pulled herself away from the driver's seat. 

Murphy looked out the windshield for a moment before his face fell. "Ready to strike!" he exclaimed, scrambling into the back. "Big gun. Go! Now! Be heroes."

That was mine and Bellamy's cue. 

He looked at me, ensuring I was ready. Our eyes met, and I gave him a small nod. It was now or never. 

With one final glance toward Murphy and Emori, I turned and kicked open the back door, jumping down onto the muddy ground below. 

Mindful of the gunfire, I pulled myself around the door, shielding myself the best I could. 

Bellamy poked his head out from the Rover, turning toward the attacking pillboxes. "I don't have a shot!"

I let out a shaky breath as I lifted my gun, peering through the scope. Perfect.

"I do." I announced, steadying my breath as I focused in on the cannon that was seconds away from killing us all. 

I didn't wait. I couldn't.

My finger squeezed against the trigger and it seemed like the world switched into slow motion as the bullet flew toward the cannon. 

I held my breath, praying I had made the perfect shot...if not, we were all dead.