Chapter 3 - Reunion

*Shailene's POV*

'I had the best time Andrew, thank you so much,' The smile plastering my face since the beginning of the picnic was starting to hurt my cheeks. We stood an inch apart, hands intertwined, on my doorstep. 'I dont think there are any words to describe how great today was. I-' I looked up from his neck to see his face and lost expression.

I did notice Andrew's hints of depression when I looked at him at the park . I didn't know if to bring that up now or just wait.

'Andrew..' No change. 'Andrew!' He looked down at me, startled, but quickly hid it.

'Yeah?'

'What was the last thing I said?'

'You asked me what was the last thing you said.' He attempted to smile.

'What's bothering you?'

'Nothing.'

'Nothing? Throughout the day there were moments when I looked at you and you seemed like you were planning a murder in your head.'

'Maybe I was.' He chuckled lightly and leaned his forehead against mine. I felt my skin burning where his hands moved further up my arm. 'You know, this dress looked really nice on you today and I---'

The door behind me was flung open.

The fear of being seen by my father with Andrew had me numb. So numb that I didn't even realize that he was no longer holding me.

'Why are you outside?'

I looked around briefly. 'Because-'

'Where did you go today?'

'To the park, with my friends.' I stressed before the conclusion hopping began.

'I didn't ask you who you went with.'

'I knew you were going to.'

'WHY IS THERE A CAR PARKED IN MY GATEWAY.'

'Daddy calm down. Someone probably came to us.'

'There is nobody in it. I'm tired of this. Let me get my crowbar.' He stalked off before I could process what he said. What scared me though, was the calm manner in which he said it.

Out of nowhere, Andrew dashed to his car from the side of the house where he hid.

*Andrew's POV*

I got in my car when I was sure that Shailene knew why I ran without turning back. The old man was probably serious. I loved this car, maybe a little more than Shailene..just maybe.

Key in the ignition, I saw him in the backseat. Him. The person whom I had seen in the trees at the park earlier. This was a living nightmare. Kendall Broker, my older brother, was in the same car that I was in. This could only mean one thing. My father had sent him.

I thought I had cut all connections to them. I had sent the letter. I sent the letter expressing everything. I hated it all. I had little fear of what they might have done to me because I knew I did the right thing and my fear diminished when I received a letter from my family, accepting my decisions. This made me fear more, because I knew things couldn't be ending so calm.

My father, Jared Broker, taught us since we were little, the defensive way of life. Well unless defensive doesn't count as 'attacking before they attack you.' Gathering hitlists and stalking jobs with a lot of money. He believed that we could help serve justice, whatever that meant, because the cops didn't do their job right.

But, growing up with school and different ways of life I could see in people around me, I changed.

I found an interest in poetry, started writing a little myself, but my brother found my little poem notebook inside my pillowcase one day, when I was at school. When I got home that day, I was given 'sentence', as the liked to call our punishment.
I have the scars lining my back perfectly as if I was born with it, which is why I have always denied Shailene's persistence to go anywhere with water.

She might probably expect me to take off my shirt and then she will question me and then I would have to think back to all the things they did to me.

I think I managed to 'cool' facade pretty well, blending in at St. Adam's High School with all my girlfriend's friends.

At first, it was a plan to enter the school, to keep tabs on some of his apparent enemies' teens. This was two years ago, and Shailene was my first friend at this institution, and she got me out of my isolated state; she took me out with her friends when they went to fun places like the bowling alley and to games, took me shopping with them, trouble the one and only gay Christoph with my presence a bit.

She was the first friend I had actually made throught my entire life because I wasn't allowed to. I never told her anything about me though, and I wouldn't have even if she had asked.

It was wrong. Everything they did was wrong. I could not keep trodding along their wrong paths. I had to step up. I respectfully took leave from 'The Savages', their 'sacrifice group' I liked to call it, and definitely had no intentions of going back. The name of their 'association' obviously had another line of understanding.

Apparently, my father had other plans.

It all came rushing back to me.

'Kendall, why are you here,' My pained words longed throught the smoothe engine purr. He laughed, shaking his head, chin right next to my head on my drivers seat. That was it. He was gonna kill me. I left them. I disappointed my father.

'I was just sent here to deliver a message Drew, just to give a message from dad,' I could hear the glint of his smile.

'What is it?'

'Are you going to end it with that girl, or do you want us to do it for you?'