十三 | She is probably regretting her audacity

十三
burning dusk

"We have to try and lighten Itachi's mood," Kisame whispered to Kuina after he got over the brutal tragedy of how he would die

Kuina furrowed her brows as she peered up at him. "But how?" She questioned, not in the least thrilled about it. If it were her, she would just leave him to calm down by himself.

"I don't know, I'll think of something," Kisame replied with a hopeful look in his eyes.

As they made their way through the cobblestone pavement by the riverbank, they came upon a wooden bench for resting. The soft orange glow of the evening sun cast its soft hue against the ground, shining like a burning fire pit. The wind blew softly against their faces, bringing with it the rich scent of magnolia.

Within such a relaxing atmosphere, Kisame decided it was the best time for them to lighten Itachi's mood. He gave Kuina a sly smile before he looked over at Itachi. "Oi, Itachi!" He called out, stopping Itachi in his tracks. "Can we take a rest on the bench here first? The Fragrance said she's tired."

Itachi glanced at Kisame, his dark eyes piercing like razors. 

Kisame flinched as he took a step back. "You needn't give me that look." He scratched his neck, feeling slightly uncomfortable. "How about, I rush with my full speed to the city and buy you and the Fragrance something chill to drink while you guys rest? We haven't eaten anything for the whole day, you know."

When Itachi said nothing, Kisame nudged Kuina with his elbow. "The Fragrance says she's in pain and really hungry too," he said as he gave Kuina a signaling glance, his teeth clenching. "Say something."

Kuina raised her brows. "I'm okay, we don't need—"

Kisame gave her a death glare, cutting her off. His teeth ground as he placed his hand on her shoulder, squeezing it. "Play along."

She gulped before she looked up at Itachi who held a ridiculing look. She gave him a weak smile. "Um, well, I guess my head does feel a bit light. . ." she trailed off as she placed her hand on her forehead.

Itachi looked at her act with raised brows before he shook his head in disapproval. He clenched his jaw and tore his gaze away. "Alright. We shall rest briefly."

Kisame sighed in relief and turned to Kuina. "See? It works." He winked at her before he turned to Itachi. "I'll quickly go and buy us something. Be right back!"

Kuina stood still as Kisame gave her a pat on the shoulder and ran off in the direction of the village. And it wasn't until he disappeared that it finally occurred to her that Kisame had just abandoned her alone with Itachi. 

Her body grew rigid as she stood stiffly like a statue, not moving an inch. She never minded Uchiha Itachi, but with his current temperament, she was more than afraid to even meet his eyes.