Quirk Assessment

"A quirk assessment test?" the entire class seemed to say in unison, voices all filled with disbelief.

"What about the entrance ceremony? The orientation?" Ochako asked, eyes wide.

Aizawa didn't even turn around. "If you're going to be a hero, you don't have time for such leisurely events," he said. "U.A.'s selling point is how unrestricted its school traditions are. This is also how your teachers will run their classes."

Everyone shifted, murmuring a bit, but they didn't interrupt him. "You guys have been doing these since junior high, haven't you?" he said. "Physical fitness tests where you weren't allowed to use your quirks. This country still uses the averages taken from students not using their quirks; it's not rational. That's just the Ministry of Education procrastinating."

Aizawa turned to Bakugo and Michi.

"Bakugo, you and Hamasaki tied for first in the practical exam, right?" the rest of the class turned toward them with wide eyes. Luckily for Michi, Aizawa chose Bakugo for his demonstration; he probably would have had to make up some answers. "Bakugo, what was your record in the softball throw back in junior high?"

"Sixty-seven meters," he said, a bit of a frown on his face.

"Try doing it with your quirk," Aizawa suggested, handing him a softball and motioning towards a white circle in the ground. "You can do whatever you want as long as you stay in the circle. Hurry up, and give it all you've got."

Bakugo nodded and began stretching. "Alright, then..." he said. He prepped himself for the throw, rearing back and whipping the ball impressively fast; and that was before he added a blast to the pitch. "DIE!" he screamed as his explosion rocketed the ball forward.

"Die?" Michi said, a small grin on his face. "That's a little intense." A couple of classmates snickered, but Bakugo ignored them, staring as the ball became a tiny speck that finally started to fall down again. When it hit the ground, Aizawa turned around and showed the screen of his little device: 705.2 m.

The class gasped in awe, other than Michi. He was expecting something like that from Kacchan. Hopefully he didn't get called up next; with his mostly non-physical quirks, it would be pretty underwhelming. He'd decided to say that Regenerate was his quirk, considering it was by far the most noticeable. He could blame it for his Energy Absorption to an extent, Resilience could fall under the umbrella as well, and his two mental quirks weren't outwardly noticeable.

"Know your own maximum first," Aizawa said. "That is the most rational way to form the foundations of a hero."

"Ooh, this looks fun!" Mina said, clapping her hands.

"We can use our quirks as much as we want!" the thin guy with the big circles on his elbows agreed. "As expected from the hero course."

"'It looks fun', huh?" Aizawa said, and Michi winced. "You have three years to become a hero. Are you going to have that attitude the whole time?" The teacher smiled, and it was most certainly not a nice smile. "Alright. Whoever comes in last place in all eight tests will be judged to have no potential and will be punished with expulsion."

"You just had to say something, didn't you Mina?" Michi snarked good-naturedly. 

"Hey, I didn't know he—wait a minute, how do you know my name? We haven't met, have we?"

Michi just smiled while his mind went in to panic mode. "Mayday, mayday, absolute dumbass alert! Mayday!"  He cursed himself for his carelessness.

"Sorry, that was probably kind of creepy," he said out loud. "I saw it on the seating arrangement, and I heard it on the news a while ago."

She winced, nodding. "Right. I keep forgetting I was on T.V."