Chapter 11 - Moving on

Adelina's pov:

I could not believe what happened a few minutes ago. Maximus was furious about my imminent rejection. Tonight everything became very clear to me. He is an arrogant and selfish person without interest or care for others and especially for me. He did not bring me here because he wanted to develop a relationship with me so that we could be true mates, but because it was the most convenient thing for him. He wanted to have me closer in order his wolf to have the ultimate power and defeat any enemy appears in claiming the throne. How I could be so blind to believe that he would act differently? I have heard the rumors about him. I sort of knew who he really was, yet I followed him like a schoolgirl. I shouldn't have any hopes about him. For me he is definitely over. Tonight, I realized that I have to go on with my life. Waiting for him is of no use, it only manages to make me stay still and have no prospects for the future.

Alex called me several times that evening. With tears in my eyes, I picked up the phone and tried to answer it. When he heard me sobbing, he got angry and wanted to come to my room and comfort me. I told him that I was fine and that I wanted to be alone. He respected it, but made me promise to meet him early the next morning before work at the usual cafe. Thank Goddess that she blessed me with such a good friend. His interest melts my heart and gave me power to deal with the situation.

All night I didn't get any sleep. I tossed and turned to my bed trying to accept the situation I was in thinking of ways to get out of it. I managed to fall asleep early in the morning until I woke up by the alarm clock. I reluctantly got out of bed and did my daily routine. When I was ready I headed to Taza, a small cafe next to the hospital. I did not go to the pack's restaurant because firstly I did not want to meet Maximus by chance and secondly because Alex was probably waiting for me at the café.

I was waiting for my order when I felt a gentle touch on my back. I turned and to my great surprise, I saw Mario Lupo, the Manager of the Hospital, smiling at me. I froze in my seat. It was the first time Mario Lupo was discreet and friendly with me. He was polite and courteous of course but always on the verge of our professional cooperation. Today was different. He paid for my coffee and suggested that we drink our coffee at one of the coffee tables. Alex was late as usual, so I agreed to hang out with him. A few minutes passed in complete silence when Mario broke it.

-"So Adelina how are you? How are things here for you? Are you satisfied with your work?"

-"I am very satisfied Sir. I think this new model of administration will be a success" I said excited. I wasn't buttering him up; I really believed in his new ways of administration and supported them.

-"Please Adelina do me a favor".

-"If I can, Sir".

-"Stop calling me Sir. It's Mario to you. At least do it when we are alone. I want my partners to speak to me freely without formalities".

-"I promise I'll try" I told him smiling awkwardly.

-"So you are satisfied. I am glad to hear it. Your opinion means a lot to me. What about your life in the pack? Did you manage to blend in?"

-"I am good Sir.....I mean Mario. I believe I've made some progress. Of course I miss my old pack, my home, my family and friends but I managed those few months to make some new. And what about you? How are you coping? I heard you are from Italy".

-"It makes absolute no difference to me. I've changed so many packs since I started my career that now I really don't mind. I know the culture of most packs in the world, every Alpha, all the laws and traditions of every pack. It's fascinating, I confess, but tedious and sometimes really frustrating".

- "You know what? I'm completely jealous of you. You've traveled to so many places when I'm 22 and I never left my pack except for the two months they brought me here. I always wanted to travel, meet new people and learn about foreign cultures".

-" There is enough time to do it. Nothing stops you!"

-"Yes......." I said sadly and lowered my head.

-" Why this answer? Is there anything holding you back? You know it's never too late for anything," he told me, winking.

I took a deep breath. A breath I never knew I was holding. Then I gathered my courage and told him:

- "During the last two months a lot have changed in my life. In fact, everything was overturned. My personal life is messed up right now. There are things that prevent me from doing whatever I want right now."

-"Things or person?" he asked, looking at me intently.

-" You know what? We will be late for the meeting. We'd better go," I told him. Suddenly his last words made me feel very uncomfortable.

-" Oh yes! I completely forgot the meeting with the new surgeon. Let's go" he added.

We got up and were ready to go when Mario grabbed me by the arm making me turn and face him.

-"I want you to know that I am here whenever you need someone to talk to. Do not hesitate at all," he told me in a very serious and compassionate way.

-"Thank you" I replied taken completely by surprise.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~** ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After nine hours of work in the hospital I finally called it a day and headed to the gym. I wanted to decompress from the stress and anxiety of work. Marisa could not come with me today because she had a romantic appointment. I hope it goes well for her. At least one of us is lucky in her love affairs.

I did not get my car; I preferred to walk as I managed to clear my head of the thoughts that haunted me. When I entered the gym, I went straight to the locker room and put on my black leggings and my black sports bra that I had in my bag. In the gym, there were a lot of people training, including the warriors'. I started with a few stretching exercises and continued with a little cardio and a little running. Then I headed to the boxing bag to throw some punches. This is my favorite part of the exercise. I love to give a few punches, it always helps me decompress.

With my perimeter vision, I saw someone shouting at my side. A man in his mid-forties was approaching me. He was very tall and his body was well built. He had brown hair with a little gray on his temples, black eyes and some wrinkles on his face. I looked around and realized I was there alone. He came closer to me.

-" Hey you there, what's your name? "he asked.

-"Are you talking to me?" I wondered.

-"Yes you! Do you see anyone else around?" he said in a sarcastic way.

-"I guess not" I answered back. "My name is Adelina", I continued. "How can I help you, Sir?"

- "Oh! You are the girl that Alpha brought a few months ago. I am Demetrio the Gamma of this pack. I was watching you over and realized that you are very good, you know it? Have you taken any training in your life?"

-"Thank you. Of course I did. I was training every day in my old pack".

-" I see. Would you like to do some training here as well? As you probably understand, I am responsible for training warriors. I also train every member of the herd who wants to learn how to defend himself / herself. Do you want me to know you?
-"That won't be necessary. I know how to defend myself. In fact I know how to fight. One of my many responsibilities was the warriors' training in my old pack".

-"Hmmm with your posture it's hard to believe something like this" he said expressing disbelief.