Ch 197: A New Challenge

Lin Ye looked at Orchid in surprise, "Identifying dangerous operators?"

"Yes."

"What does that mean?"

"I mean that literally." Orchid raises her eyebrows, "Don't you understand this?"

"No.", Lin Ye shakes his head, "I mean, I didn't expect this kind of work in Rhodes Island, to be honest."

"Is this kind of work strange? Many companies and enterprises have this kind of work.", Orchid says, "It's just that Rhodes Island is special. After all, Rhodes Island is not an ordinary pharmaceutical company. We have side businesses that most pharmaceutical companies do not have. At the same time, we have also hired many capable but dangerous employees. The danger here refers to both the physical and the psychological. With the current medical technology in Rhodes Island, the body of most infected people can be easily stabilized, but it is from psychology that it is not as simple as choosing the right medicine."

"Seems logical. I probably understand what you mean.", Lin Ye says, "but I still don't understand a little bit."

"The truth is a bit hard to tell.", Orchid's speeches slowed down, "It's very simple because we don't have this ability to do that anymore.

"Huh?"

The simple truth...", she sighs, "...is that Rhodes has not hired many psychologists. I might be one, but only an amateur. You are better and have more experience than me, plus my methods seem useless right now."

"... Maybe I understand.", Lin Ye nods, and then looks at the data of the operator in his hand. "For example, this one is called Lappland, which we think is unstable."

"That's the gist of it"

There is a note from the medical department on the operator's profile, and Lin Ye whispers it out

"We have struggled to understand Lappland's personality. Some consider her simply mad, despite how polite and personable she can be in daily life. She actively seeks out people to converse with, indulging her taste for gallows humor, eager to see how her conversation partners will respond. Still, we know Lappland to be a dangerous element, and even at her most well-behaved, she remains frightening. Lappland has been marked for close medical observation due to severe symptoms of Oripathy."

Lin Ye thinks about this information.

"Moreover we believe you can help us with this because of how Skadi treats you."

"Huh?"

Orchid coughs lightly, "We admit that we had some misunderstandings about Skadi. However, Skadi's loneliness, her outlier status, and that attitude of never taking teammates can be dangerous factors for a team."

Lin couldn't refute those points. Skadi didn't respond to other operators, let alone seem to care about what they were doing.

"Then Lappland." The file shakes as Lin Ye brings it in front of Orchid. "You want me to help her as I did with Skadi?"

"It's up to you." Orchid says, "She is an amazing combat operator, but..."

"What's the matter?", Lin Ye hates when someone hides some information from him that could help him.

Orchid was silent for a while before saying, "She has no friends."

"No friend?"

"Yes, she is always alone. Although her personality looks much better than that of the operator Skadi, she can talk to many people, but she is basically just acting. No one can really understand her.", Orchid says softly,

"And we can't find out her background. According to as yet unconfirmed reports, Lappland might have come from a certain family in Siracusa known for moving in certain dangerous circles but scouring all active and inactive lists involving Siracusa failed to connect Lappland to any of the families. Because of the extreme risk involved in probing the Siracusan families, the investigation has been terminated."

'So, she is alone, from a mysterious and dangerous place. She seems similar to Skadi.'

"So, you want me to approach her?", Lin Ye raises his eyebrows.

"Yes, if you would just as you approached Skadi.", Orchid nods.

"Skadi is also the reason why we decided to give you someone who is in a similar situation."

"Huh? Why?"

"A few days ago, Skadi came to your side to support you."

Orchid looks at Lin Ye's eyes and says, "This was absolutely impossible for her a long time. Skadi never cared about anyone. But you have changed her. But with you, she seems more open and she's now more cooperative."

She stares at him like a hard puzzle to solve.

"And in our opinion, Operator Skadi is much more dangerous than Operator Lappland. So, we hope to give you an easier time with Operator Lappland."

'It turned out to be really related to how I 'changed' Skadi... But I didn't even do anything.'

Lin Ye lowers his head and looks again at her files

He then questions, "If I judge her as unqualified, she can't stay here?"

"That's not necessarily true. The final result must be on Dr. Kal'sit and Amiya to make. But your judgment will serve as a very important factor in that.", Orchid tells gently,

"So, are you willing to take this job, Doctor Lin Ye?", she asks.

Lin Ye thinks about it, and then suddenly asks "So that means, that if I accept I can help her, right?"

Orchid, bewildered by what he did, asks with a serious face.

"... Yes, you will. Why do you ask?"

Lin Ye "I accept and why not? Someone is in need of help and I can help even a bit."

Orchid is bewildered by his answer. "T-That's good." Orchid slowly nods,

"Operator Lappland will return to Rhodes Island soon. She is currently here on an internship. by the end of it, hope you can identify if she is qualified or not stay here"

{Rhodes Island's Psychologist}

Draft by Jaq

Proofread by Kingofkraken and d0d0b1rd

Edit by Jaq