Chapter eighty six - Asgard, again

You stared at the piece of paper Nat was showing you. She was right, the Space, Mind and Time stones had all been in New York City on the day Loki had attacked.

"Kid, I know what you're thinking. And it's a bad idea." Tony told you kindly but firmly.

"I- wasn't thinking anything." you replied, turning to look at him. This was a lie.

"That's a lie." he said, raising an eyebrow.

"I want to see him." you said, speaking without thinking. It was all you knew.

You practically heard the sympathetic glance which Nat and Bruce shared behind you.

"Course you do, but you also want to get him back in the long run. Which might not happen if we mess up..."

"I wouldn't mess up." you said firmly.

"You would be a liability. And that's completely understandable, anyone would be... but it's not a risk that we should take. You know that; I know you do." Tony said, looking at you piercingly.

You did know that. But for the moment your heart was speaking to you louder than your head was.

"What if this doesn't work? It could be my last chance to see him-"

"And what if it does work? You can have the rest of your life with him. Which would you rather gamble on?" Tony asked you.

You hung your head. Regardless of that, half of the universe was at stake. It would be selfish of you to risk everything just to see a version of Loki who didn't even know your name.

"I know." you said quietly, looking back at Tony, who gave you a sad smile.

"I should go tell the others about this." Nat said, standing up.

"Call a meeting." Bruce suggested.

Fifteen minutes later everyone was assembled in the kitchen, and ten minutes after that the final plan was on the hologram before you all.

The Soul and Power stones were in space relatively near each other in 2014. The Space, Mind and Time stones were in New York in 2012. The Reality Stone was on Asgard in 2013.

The thought of going back to Asgard made your heart ache with a longing which was almost as strong as the urge you felt to see Loki again. The kitchen was silent as everyone looked at the hologram.

"All right. So we have a plan." Tony broke the silence.

"Six stones. Three teams. One shot." Steve stated.

"Let's go." you said, standing up abruptly. Everyone turned to look at you in shock.

"Wha- right now?" Rocket asked.

"Yes, now. Why not?" you asked impatiently. No one seemed to have an answer.

"She's right. We've waited five years, why wait any longer?" Nat asked, standing up next to you.

"An excellent point. No time like the present." Tony added, also standing up, "Let's go."

You followed him from the room, adrenaline pumping through your veins, not quite able to believe it. Less than two hours ago you'd been happily eating pancakes on the sofa with Thor... and in a few minutes you would be back on Asgard. Eleven years ago.

Tony pulled you to one side before you suited up.

"Kid, listen. I know we all want this, badly. But you need to make sure you come home, stone or no stone, okay?" he said to you seriously, putting a hand on your shoulder.