8. He hated himself even more when he came thinking about her

Olivia and Kyle went to the hospital, and the nurses said that it would heal in a few weeks, but he should try to rest and be as comfortable as possible. Which was exactly why he was laid up in bed on his Xbox with a McDonalds.

Brett had told Olivia that he would pick up Charlotte on his way home from work as he would be finishing earlier, which meant that Olivia had taken a nice, long and relaxing bath.

"Talia I don't know but I'm not going to town tonight, or ever again for that matter.", Olivia told her best friend who was on speaker phone whilst she bathed.

"Listen, you're nineteen years old Olivia. You should be out drinking and partying not being a mother to two children.", Talia resorted with a sad tone.

"I like staying here and taking care of the children, they need someone Talia.", Olivia sighed, rubbing her thighs with the vanilla and almond scented liquid. Talia only sighed at that, as if she thought her friend was lying - but she wasn't - it was the truth. Olivia loved being with the kids and helping them, they needed someone.

"Yeah, right.", Talia only said.

"Kyle got into a fight today and the principle didn't even let him see a nurse.", Olivia complained.

"That's crazy! Why the hell not?", Talia exclaimed. Olivia laughed at her friends reaction. It reminded her that her friend wasn't insane like everybody else seemed to be these days. Olivia still couldn't comprehend what was going through that mans head when he denied a young boy a nurse.

"Because he deserved to be punished.", Olivia stated blandly. Talia burst out into a fit of laughter.

"He said that?"

"Yep.", Olivia leaned back into the tub, soaking up the warm water as she sighed happily. Olivia knew that she was behaving like a married, middle-aged woman already, but she enjoyed it. She liked looking after Charlotte and Kyle, and she liked cooking and playing with them. And she thoroughly enjoyed the presence of Brett.

"Right, I've got to go! We're heading out to town.", And by we Olivia knew that she meant her and her boyfriend. Olivia hummed her response. "Bye girly!", Talia sang down the phone.

"Tell Chris I said hello.", She said.

"Will do," Talia replied and then the phone call ended.

Later on that night

Olivia had put Charlotte to bed and was sitting at the dining room table with Brett, drinking a glass of white wine. "You should have heard the things he said, Brett.", She sighed, finishing off her first glass of Chardonnay.

"I think I've heard enough.", Brett admitted.

"He was an absolute asshole.", Olivia poured herself another glass, needing it after the day she had.

"You made that pretty clear. I rang our lawyer, he said he'll be here on Friday. He's got a friend of his collecting the footage already so he can view it before coming to talk to you.", Brett explained, drinking some of his own wine now.

Olivia smiled weakly. She was tired. Mentally and physically. "Thank you for listening to me and trusting me.", She whispered.

Brett said nothing for a few moments, he just gazed over her face, trying to read the emotions present there. He swirled the liquid around the glass as he fixed her with his intense stare. Olivia said nothing either. Her cheeks flushed, whether it was from the alcohol or his stare, she wasn't sure.

Olivia couldn't help but to wonder what he thought. She wanted to know what he thought about her, and what he thought when they were looking at each other like this. For her, it was amazing and soul-shattering but for a man who's wife had just passed away only months ago, she wasn't sure. Sometimes she wished she knew his every single thought.