thirty-one

"Come on, it would make your life so much easier

"Come on, it would make your life so much easier."

"No."

"But I really should learn, and besides then I can help out—"

"No."

"Oh, stop being such an asshole and just—"

"Don't swear in front of the kid."

"My mistake. Stop being such an asshat and—"

"I literally just told you not to swear."

"Oh, come on, I said hat."

A mixture of irritation and humor flowed from the Mandalorian as he glared at Kasia, the beautiful girl returning the look from where she sat in the copilot seat with her arms crossed. In Mando's lap, the child seemed to imitate her movement, crossing his own tiny arms as he grinned at Kasia and then the Mandalorian in turn.

After they had taken off and determined where they were going next, Mando had helped Kasia use a med-kit to wrap her ribs and had given her a couple of pills for the pain which Omera had gifted them before they left Sorgan. As such, she was now feeling a whole lot better.

"Come on, what if you suddenly die or some shit and then we're stuck in the empty void of space with no pilot. Who's going to fly the ship? The kid?" Kasia raised an eyebrow at Mando as she leaned back in her seat and brought her hands up to rest behind the back of her head.

"I'm not going to die," came Din's flat response a moment later, a flare of annoyance accompanying Kasia's swear word.

At the reply, Kasia rolled her eyes. "Oh, so what? Does your suit grant you immortality now as well?"

"Among other things, yes."

Kasia couldn't help but laugh softly at that, the quick-witted reply admittedly catching her off-guard. Mando's sense of humor was understated such that sometimes people didn't catch when he made jokes, taking his dry wit seriously. Kasia, however, had quickly come to understand and appreciate his humor—in fact his dry humor was one of the things she liked best about him.

Finally, Din sighed and Kasia gave him a triumphant smirk, knowing she had won the argument. As per usual. Honestly, sometimes she didn't know why he bothered to pretend to put up a fight.

"You hate the ship. How do I know this isn't some grand plot just to crash the Crest for spite?" came his wary but relenting question a moment later.

Kasia flashed a winning smile. "Because I'm much too self-interested to risk my own safety for the sake of destroying something I despise," she joked as Mando rose from the pilot seat and switched the ship into autopilot.

From his lap, the child gave a soft gurgling sound and Kasia grabbed the kid and placed him gently in his cradle. Then, she slid into Din's seat as he hovered cautiously over her shoulder.