Chapter 36: Into the Twilight Realm

The group was all settled in back at the base in Lon Lon Ranch.

"Thank goodness you succeeded" Talon said to Link, Aryll, and the former champions "From now on, I ain't shippin no boxes without checkin them first"

Talon walked away to feed Epona, and Link ran over to Zelda

"You are back" she noted "I have a gift for you, something that the Resistance members recovered"

Zelda handed Link a Royal Guard's Bow, a Royal Guard's Sword, and a Royal Guard's Shield.

"Wow!" Link exclaimed "These are some of the best weapons I could get my hands on!"

Link tossed his Royal Broadsword, Royal Shield, and Royal Bow off to the side, and grabbed the new weapons

"Did you succeed?"

"Yeah" Link replied "Um, anymore missions for me?"

"There is one" Zelda smiled "Midna will tell you about it"

"Uh, okay"

Link looked around for a bit, and eventually saw the Twili Imp and former ruler of the Twilight Realm.

"Hey Midna" Link walked up to her "Zelda said you can tell me about another mission"

"That is correct" Midna replied "I have been wanting to get back into the Twilight Realm so I can take back my people and defeat Zant once and for all, but I cannot do it alone. Will you help me?"

"Sure" Link said "I'm the hero, so it is my duty to be there to help"

"Alright then" Midna got up "We're heading to the Gerudo Desert now then"

"Now?" Link asked "But what about Lunch!"

"I thought it was your duty to be there to help" she replied 

"Yeah, I guess it is" Link sighed, and he got on Epona with Midna

"To the Gerudo Desert it is!"

Epona rode out to the desert, pretty much on the same route that Link and Zelda had taken to travel there previously.

"Are we going to the Arbiter's Grounds Ruins?" Link asked Midna

"Yes" she replied

Epona eventually stopped at the site where Arbiter's Grounds once had stood before Zant destroyed the fortress and prison.

All that was left was once small stone pillar that poked out of the sand.

"It's completely sunken...." Link noted "How are we supposed to get down to the Mirror of Twilight

"We dig" Midna simply answered

"We better hurry then" Link said after turning around "Because the Yiga Clan is after us"

Link started digging and digging, getting dirt and sand all over his Green Tunic, but he didn't care.

They had to get to the Mirror of Twilight...

We can do this Link thought I know we can

One Yiga Footsoldier reached them just as they were climbing under the sand, and Epona kicked it away.

Link and Midna got down in the sand, and slowly dug under the sand and into the Ruins of Arbiter's Grounds.

They quickly found what was left of the Mirror Chamber, and activated the Mirror of Twilight.

It shined on a nearby stone wall, and a Twilight Portal appeared, just like the one when Zant arrived at the Desert Palace.

"It's now or never" Midna stated

They both vanished and turned into black particles, that then floated into the Twilight Realm.

Midna talked to Link as they were transported into the Twilight Realm

"Oh yeah" she said "For heroes like you, there might just be a side effect of you turning into a wolf"

"Wait what?" Link asked

"Yeah" she replied "But I think it can be undone easily"

Link and Midna were now in the Twilight Realm...

It was a dark floating mass with various structures around it, most notably the grand Palace of Twilight.

Shadow Beasts were standing guard, and there were also numerous Twili walking around, cursed by Zant's dark magic.

"I can't believe one of my own people has done all this" Midna said, looking over at the various cursed Twili 

They both continued walking around the dark town, and they reached the dark Palace of Twilight

"Let's go in"

Link and Midna entered the Palace of Twilight, and were immediately attacked by Shadow Beasts, and small annoying Shadow Vermin.

"Watch out" Midna said to Link when they escaped into the next room "There are Shadow Deku Babas in here"

Shadow Deku Babas were Twilit versions of the evil plant monsters from the Hyrulean forests.

Link and Midna fought various other monsters as they traversed through the Palace of Twilight, such as Shadow Kargaroks and Phantom Zant.

At the end of the palace, in the throne room, they came face-to-face with Zant.