World | Armin x (Mermaid) Reader

Prompt- Reader is a mermaid

Modern AU

Armin's POV

The ocean had been a big curiosity of mine, and books on the subject only did so much. So as soon as I could, I enrolled in a college close to the sea. As I had hoped, and expected from my grades, I got accepted and moved. My dorm was about two blocks from the sea and I could partially see the beach from my room window.

Even now, a year later, I visited the beach every chance I got. I'd usually read while listening to the waves but other times I would swim or maybe even build a sandcastle if I felt like it. Today was the usual though, sitting on a small bank near the shoreline with a book in my hand. The waves gently crashed and rolled over the sand and helped fill the void with noise as I focused on the words infront of me. I did this for a while but noticed I wasn't paying attention when an unusual sound came from the water. It's wasn't as smooth as usual, instead it was more like waves hit something and pushed it forward, making the water splash more than usual. I looked up the see the source of the disruption but only saw the vast ocean, until I saw a dart of blue streak out of sight around a corner behind some large rocks.

"Hello?"

I got no reply and decided to try again.

"Hello? Is anyone there? My names Armin. I won't hurt you, you can come out."

I felt a little ridiculous but thought that maybe a child had been playing around and I had startled them. I got close to the water and tried leaning around the rocks to see. At first I could see nothing until a girl with h/c colored hair slowly peaked around the corner.

"It's okay. Come on." I urged her while holding a hand out.

She was pretty far out, near where the water reached my waist and for a second I thought she couldn't hear me but then she slowly came out and forward. At first nothing seemed weird but then I saw what looked like a blue cloud following slightly behind her. Although after a she moved a couple feet it surfaced and I saw what it really was.

A tail.

I gasped and stumbled back a few steps but managed to stay upright. At my movement she ducked low into the water, only her eyes and up breaking through the surface.

"Oh no- don't be alarmed! I was just startled that's all! Ive never met a mermaid before. Infact I thought they were just mythological creatures.... but your real so I guess that logics off huh?" I chuckled to myself as questions began to pop up in my head.

I wanted answers, of course, but I also wanted to get to know the magical being infront of me. In an attempt to make her more comfortable, I walked into the ocean until half of my shin was covered with water, and sat down. My outfit was soaked, but now I was sitting far away yet deep enough that she could approach me if she wanted. She didn't move though and stayed frozen as she watched me, her eyes studying my movements. They looked soft and scared. If she was scared why would she stay? I decided to try and put her at ease by talking, although I didn't know if she even understood me. Did she know how to talk? Did her species have a language like ours or was it completely alien to us?

"Um.. Hi. My names Armin Arlert. But you can call me Armin. That's what everyone calls me." I chuckled, somewhat embarrassed. "I'm 20 years old and I moved here 2 years ago. I study marine biology at the college just over that way." I pointed.

Stupid. She probably doesn't know what college is and even if she did there's no way for her to know what there's a college over there. God Armin why do you have to be so dim all the time! I looked down before continuing.