❀58❀

"Cover your eyes, there are demons in the night."

TW⚠️: Mentions of Suicide

A couple of minutes before their second capture, Jisung and Hwayeon were hiding in the shadows as they overheard a conversation between two inner circle members of Octris

"They're channeling Lee Miyeon's life, I heard."

"Serves her right for betraying Octris. She almost poisoned us all so we wouldn't hurt Lee Taehwa."

Hwayeon's eyes widened, extremely concerned for her sister-like figure as the two members continued to discuss out in the open.

"Did you hear? The Serpents caught Park Jihwan."

Jisung's eyes widened at the mention of his missing father, clenching his fist as he realized they had the two most important people in his life in this mansion somewhere.

Now, as he's fallen on his knees staring at the dead body in front of him,  his entire demeanor changes. He doesn't listen to the cries of Hwayeon or the sounds of the battle onslaught. He doesn't pay attention to the people calling out his name.

He slowly moves closer to the body laying on the floor, calling out for them.

"Dad," he croaks out, his voice hoarse from trying to hold his tears in.

Yes, the body on the floor is Park Jihwan. He could've never been Hwara's father-in-law if he decided he was going to die anyway. He knew it's wasn't fair to leave Hwara to their enemies, but she's his son's soulmate—he's wasn't about to destroy the life of his remaining child. So he only did what he could—he killed himself instead.

He shot himself in the head the second Hwara had opened her eyes by pure coincidence, making her bear witness to the gory scene in front of her eyes on her own. It would be forever imprinted in her mind, a grim reminder to this day.

Now, as she hears Jisung call him Dad, everything clicks in her head. The last few memories from before she left the mansion rush to her mind, the pain increasing tenfold due to no connection to her soulmate bond to dull the pain.

Flashes pass through her eyes as her head rolls back, her eyes screwing shut as she carefully looks through every memory despite them moving too fast for her to process fully.

Then it clicks in her head. She finally sees the first time she'd ever met Park Jihwan.

He bought her ice cream. He got her new clothes. He let her play with Jisung and even his sister Jieun. She's met all the Parks before. She even called Mrs.Park "Mom." That same day, they had heard the codes on accident.

It all comes back to her—exactly what those codes are and what they actually contain. These codes don't just take down Octris, but they would completely destroy the government as well for aiding Octris. She didn't know they had government backing. They can't expose themselves as NCT now. She's not sure if Taeyong even knows what's really in those codes. For now, she can't really pay attention to him.