chapter thirty seven

~Harry~

~Harry~

The sky was just as dark as the thoughts wandering through his mind as he drove his car aimlessly down the quiet street. The slight afterglow of the moon illuminating the road caught his gaze as he drove in silence. He couldn't help but stare at it for a moment, before it suddenly came crashing into him.

When he thought about Marley, all he saw was light. He used to believe that he hated the way she always seemed to see the world, like it was this great and wonderful place full of love and happiness. He would always see her as the sun that peaked through the clouds after a terrible storm, trying to bring back all the colorful things the world had to offer and at the time wanted nothing to do with it. He hated that someone could be so oblivious to the horrors of the real world.

But as he came face to face with the moon sitting so brightly in the sky, he realized that he had been wrong. Because while the sun allowed for all the things to be seen in extraordinary amounts of light, showcasing the colorful and meaningful world around us - without the moon, everything would simply crumble at the seams. Without the moon, the world would be so dark, so terrifying... that even the evilest of evils wouldn't survive.

Marley was the moon.

Something so powerful - yet so beautiful - that her glow effortlessly brightened the darkest parts of himself, allowing it to finally see the light.

She was able to bring light to his biggest regrets, trembling worries and most terrifying traumas, all while not trying to change a thing. She was simply there with him, being the one thing that kept him away from the suffocating clutches of his deepest nightmares. She didn't try to blind him with the optimistic hopes that everything would be okay. All she did was comfort him, giving him the time to allow the darkest parts of himself to never be completely alone... like they had always been.

He looked down at his hands, hating the way he wasn't sure if the small amount of dried blood left on them were his own or not. He gripped the steering wheel harder, his foot stepping down onto the accelerator as the car sped up so quickly his body jerked back.

When he pulled up to the pub, he wasn't sure how he had gotten there. His mind had been spinning so quickly, it seemed as though all time was lost until the fluorescent lights of Pub 132 flashed so brightly in his face he had to squint his eyes.

He took a deep breath, running his fingers through his hair as he sighed. It felt as though a weight was sitting on his chest, like he had single handedly managed to ruin everything good he had in his life. Because he felt as though as soon as the girl had found out what his night consisted of, she would be terrified of him.

He leaned his head back against the seat, exhaling deeply as he rubbed his right knuckles in the palm of his left hand, trying to get any trance of the night off that the water couldn't wash away. Unfortunately for him, the aggressive motions only made it more noticeable as they were now bright red. So he just sighed loudly as he ran his fingers through his hair and ventured inside the shitty pub.