one

She rushed to set the table for dinner.  We only had dinners at the table when guests came over, and that was a rare occurrence.  Mom never put herself out there like the other moms in town, but that never bothered me.  In fact, I preferred it that way.

"Mom, do you have to have them over? Can't you just call and tell them that we have other plans?" I frowned at her putting forks and spoons in their places.

Dinner on the couch was so much better.  The TV always kept the conversations going.

"No, that would be lying. Hurry and call Devin, they'll be here any minute."

I sighed as I made my way upstairs.  The downstairs half of the house was always to be kept clean, as to stay prepared for any chance of unexpected visitors, but upstairs maintained its cluttered look.

"Dinner's ready," I told my brother as I knock on his door. 

In only a few seconds, he opened his door.  He was dressed in quite possibly the nicest outfit he's ever worn, other than the suit he wore to my aunt's wedding a while ago.

"How do I look?" he asked nervously.

"Like a dweeb.  Who are you trying to impress? Mrs.  Miller?"  I asked confused as to why a twelve-year-old would dress that well for a dinner with people he doesn't know.

"Virginia, duh.  I'm gonna get her to date me."

"She's like fifteen, Devin."

"So?" he says before jogging downstairs.

I laughed before walking to my room to grab my phone.  I glanced at myself in the mirror to make sure I was dressed well before walking out.

"Lin, come down, would you?" My father yelled from downstairs.

Without answering, I walked downstairs to see three people in my living room.

"Lin, this is Georgia, Virginia, and Austin. They moved in a few weeks ago."

"Hi, Aylin," Georgia smiled widely.

Before continuing the conversation, Mom rushed us to the table where the food was getting cold.

"So, Virginia," my mother began, only to be interrupted.

"Ginny."

"Right, uh, Ginny. How are you liking it here so far?"

"It's fine," she said simply before taking a bite of her food.

Ginny seemed unimpressed with everything, and I could tell it was bugging my mom. My dad must've caught onto it too because he decided to start a new conversation.

"Are you guys going to the fair tonight?"

"Oh, yes. Ellen told us about that and we were considering it," Georgia smiled, "Are you guys?"

"Yes, we are. Well, the kids are. Lorna and I take the night to ourselves, if you know what I mean," my dad laughed at his answer.

"Ew, really Dad?" Devin asked with a disturbed look on his face.

"What does that mean?" Austin asked confused.

"Nothing, David is just a little stupid," my mom chuckled.

The rest of dinner went by fairly quickly, and at the end, Ginny and Austin started to warm up to us.  Noticing that, Georgia allowed Ginny to go to the fair, so long as she was accompanied by me.