Chapter Forty-Four

"What the hell is happening to this kid?" Stiles asked as he, Hayley, and Derek tried to hold Brett down. The said boy was lying down on the table in the middle of the room and it was becoming impossible to keep him down. Deaton was doing his best to help, but he couldn't do anything until Brett was lying completely still.

"He's been poisoned by a rare wolfsbane. I need to make an incision, and you need to hold him as still as possible," Deaton explained.

"Hey, Derek? How about a little Werewolf strength?" Stiles asked.

"Yeah, I'm not the only one here with Werewolf strength..." Derek cut in and Peter, who was stood in the doorway looked over to him with eyes narrowed. He suspected there was more going on with Derek's fleeting powers than he initially suspected. Hayley noticed the small action knowing something was wrong. It was beacon Hills, something was always wrong.

"If you can't hold him still, the incision might kill him," Deaton warned again, and Hayley grit her teeth trying to do more. He really wasn't helping matters.

"Derek, he's slipping! I don't think I can hold him!" Stiles shouted and Brett fell to the floor and off the table. Peter stepped forward punching Brett in the face and knocking him out and both Stiles and Hayley jumped back in shock.

"I guess I still have a little Werewolf strength myself," he mused looking over to Derek with a smirk and Hayley looked between the two men trying to work out what the tension was.

"Yeah... Maybe more than a little..." Derek grit out trying to cover that his own powers were fleeting. Two looks and two signs and to her that meant that something was definitely going on that Derek didn't want any of them to know about. It brought an irritation to her, but it was hard to focus on them when there was a dying child beside her.

"Hey, Doc? I don't think he's breathing," Stiles called out, and they turned their attention to the boy who was lying on the ground. Deaton walked over crouching down in front of him and making the appropriate incision. A yellow smoke left his body and then he was breathing fine. Just like he'd been asleep all along.

Everyone breathed out in relief as they watched it. He was at peace now.

"Is he okay?" Hayley asked, and Deaton nodded.

"I think he'll be fine, but probably out for a little while."

They took a moment of silence in peace, although murmurs seemed to echo throughout the room. "Guys, can you hear that? I think he's saying something..." Stiles trailed off and they strained their ears to listen. Deaton stepped closer crouching down to hear it properly.

""Three things cannot long be hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth." It's Buddhist."

Both Derek and Peter looked at each other, "Satomi," they sighed out together.

Hayley looked to them confused but Stiles concern was on the missing Hale and the missing McCall. "Hayley, where's Talia?" Stiles asked. She hummed looking to him confused.

"With mom, why?" She countered noticing his concerned gaze.

He narrowed his eyes before he realised what was wrong, "you didn't read the whole list did you?"

"What are you talking about?" Hayley asked crossing her arms as she did so. She looked over to Derek who was gritting his teeth and Peter who was emotionless. None of them seemed to want to tell her. "If one of you don't speak in the next two minutes then someone is getting grounded, even you," she snapped pointing over at Peter.

"Talia's on the list," Derek finally said, and she looked at him horrified.

A one-year-old - not even that - on a list to be assassinated. "And you tell me now?!"