Chapter Fifty-One

Looking around at the empty hospital, Hayley narrowed her eyes as she tried to guess which floor they were all on. It was so quiet and dead. There were probably at least a hundred people within the hospital and yet she couldn't hear nor see any of them. In her own mind was the only thoughts about her daughter and how she was doing when they were so far away. She wanted to know if Cora could get her to sleep or if it still wasn't working. If she was eating the right amount? If she was still able to laugh? All of them being questions which needed to be answered sooner rather than later.

Footsteps. Someone was coming and she had no idea who or whether they were trained or dangerous or not. Whirling around, she scanned her eyes for anything which could be used as a weapon. Conveniently, there was a metal pole on a broken bed that was hovering outside in the corridor.

Grabbing onto the pole, she twisted her grip on it preparing to hit the oncoming person. Melissa came around the corner both of them holding the sticks up ready to hit each other. Nolan was behind Melissa but Hayley didn't care about that fact. Lowering the pole, a large smile claimed her face and she held her hands out as if in an invitation.

"Mom! Look, it's me! Your favourite child," she called out and despite rolling her eyes at the exclamation, Melissa had a large smile on her own face. Stepping forward they threw their arms around each other basking in the warmth of a mother-daughter hug that they hadn't got to experience in over a year. The closest they got was face-time calls.

"Please don't tell me you brought my granddaughter into a war?" She asked and Hayley's smile became strained as she stepped back.

"Why does everyone think that? She's with Cora. We're winning this then going back and there's a teenager behind you," she added on finally spotting Nolan hovering awkwardly in the background.

"He's hopped onto our side now," Melissa said and Hayley nodded slightly.

"Well, welcome to the team kid," she mused just as a collection of gunshots sounded from the floor above them, "well then...found them."

Panting from exertion, both Theo and Liam shared a relieved look when it appeared that the battle on their part had ended, but the sound of an injured Hunter sitting up and cocking his firearm caused them to freeze in fear. Before they could even react, Hayley stepped out batting the hunter over the head with the metal pole she'd stolen from the broken bed. Another one began to rise to his feet and Melissa appeared and used her taser-wand at full force to electrocute the Hunter and finally neutralise him.

The pair stopped for a moment taking a breath before the smile returned to Hayley's face, "look at us Mama McCall's getting things done," she mused looking at her mother before she looked to both Liam and Theo who had their faces covered in shock and surprise, "hey kiddo's," she mused, "oh, another new one. Scott's really got a thing for the strays doesn't he?" She asked as she looked over Theo.

All of them were too distracted by each other to see Gabe appear behind Theo and Liam, and by the time they even did, it was too late. Nolan was the first to spot him and his eyes widened seeing the gun, "get down!" He yelled.

The three humans dove to the floor to escape the onslaught of bullets they wouldn't be able to recover from.

Theo and Liam turned back to see Gabe aiming his assault rifle at them, and Theo was the first to react as he threw his arm around Liam's shoulders and thrusting them both forward as fast as he could so they could duck and take cover themselves. Gabe started shooting round after round and at first, missed both of the two teenage boys, but soon enough bullets entered their skin. Grunts and cries of pain were heard as they continued trying to get to safety and soon they ended up hiding and on the ground clutching their wounds in pain. Gabe never stopped shooting.