Chapter 24

I gulp and avert my eyes from his face, feeling a little ashamed about my accusations earlier. I didn't imagine the resemblance between them because it's truly his sister. Uncomfortable, I peek under my lashes toward him and sigh.

"I'm sorry for accusing you before." I stammer shamefully. "It's alright, Sofia. But I have to ask, didn't you see the resemblance between us?" Michael asks with a little unsure. He's proud of his sister, I'm sure of it. And why wouldn't he be? She was gorgeous with her dark long hair and beautiful face.

"Yes, but I never knew you have a sister," I inform him with a frown. "Crazy, huh? I figured it out a year after our separation. So I know her six years now." Michael explains to me. "Her name is Felicity, and she's four years younger than me." He informs me. My mouth falls open in astonishment. Michael has a sister.

"Do you want to know more or are you still tired?" He asked me smugly. "I want to know everything." I gush before passing him and walking down the stairs. The both of us are settling ourselves on the dark green sofa. "I'm going to grab us something to drink first." He says before he vanished in the kitchen and entering the room with a plate with two wines and a small plate of different sliced cheese.

I take the glass from the plate carefully and hold it in my hand, eagerly wanting to know more about his sister. "So you must have a lot of questions at the moment, right?" Michael asks me with a genuine smile, his voice sounding very calm. He looked quite calm and comfortable sitting beside me with a glass in his hand.

A swallow hard and began my interrogation: "Why didn't you tell me before? Why were you so secretive about your sister and why haven't your parents told you the truth about her?" I blurted in a rush. Michael chuckles before he continues to speak. "My parents don't know I'm meeting my sister from time to time. They never told me about her, because they wanted to keep her hidden from everyone. The fucked up part is that they don't even recognize her as their child." He says and I swallow hard by hearing the facts. That's fucked up. Who doesn't acknowledge his own child?

"But how? That's not fair to your sister nor you." I admit in frustration. The hate I already felt for them is only growing bigger and bigger. "I'll start with the beginning, okay?" He says and takes a big gulp from his glass and I follow his gesture and do the same. As interesting it may all seem, the guilt and pain he must have had are hard to imagine. Michael had to learn to live without the people he loved. He must have felt so lonely and miserable about the fucked up situation his parents turned him into.

"In New York, I had a great bond with my teacher of economics. I hated all the classes besides his. He tried to be a cool teacher and to stand closer to his students, to bond with them, and I admired that about him. One time I didn't show up at his class and the next day he confronted me politely to not skip classes because my other teachers already talked about my regular absence in classes. He was genuine, and he talked me to senses. It's because of him I have changed my course in life and because of him, I started digging in my parents' secrets. Do you remember the picture with me and a baby in my arms?" Michael questioned me curiously.

"The picture on your nightstand at your parents' house, you mean?" I ask him, trying to imagine the picture in front of me again. "Yes, that one. My mother told me it was my niece, but it wasn't my niece. The baby was Felicity, but I was too young to remember who she truly was. For years I believed my mother's lies, but the breakup between us, my parents forcing me to an unhappy life, made me overthink everything about them. Parents that love their children would never do that to their child.

It was coincidence or fate, whatever you may think about the entire situation, but I was at the right place in New York. I had found out my mother had had an affair years ago. She was planning to divorce from my father, but the money and greed for luxury kept her with him, my so-called father." He tells me in agony.